please help a super iphone noob!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellishness, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok so im thinking about buying a used iphone and using it like an ipod touch and only get internet over wifi. i will take out the simcard so its not connected to any service and i dont have to pay any fees. is all of this ok? will it work just like my ipod touch? will i be able to use gps? does anyone on here do this?

im really sorry for all my most likely extremely dumb questions, but i really don want to spend 300 bucks on an iphone and realise that i cant use it...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh and also, if someone sells you a brand new one, would you be able to simply not activate it and not sign a contract?
  2. Snipeout231

Snipeout231 New Member

Must be jailbroken and if it is it can work like a ipod touch. You wont be able to use gps because its gps is based on the cellular data plan. I am not sure if it would still work with a gps app like the tomtom or navigon.

2. When they sell you a brand new one, if it is truly brand new then you wont be able to get past the welcome screen/ connect to itunes screen. Odds are no one would ever sell a truly brand new one, the brand new ones people sell are usually already unlocked.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Please Register or Log in to view images

also check out this funny video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIkJuF1UXJI
  3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The GPS itself will work without a SIM card and it does not need cellular connectivity for the GPS itself. However, most things that use the GPS also use cellular data to load other stuff (like maps etc...).

The GPS uses its own "radio" and will work without any data connection.
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    No, your completely wrong.

GPS uses a 3G connection. Not a "radio"
  5. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so if its unlocked and jailbroken like this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mob/1368341960.html
    then i can use it as i described? also, i really dont care too much about gps, so its ok if that doesnt work.
    and if i buy a non-jailbroken one, ill just jailbreak it, so its all good, right?
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

That is partly true as the GPS will use an "assist function" to get your location faster but it will work without any connectivity. If you don't believe me do it yourself; pull out your SIM card, turn off your WiFi and use the GPS; It will still work. The GPS also uses a radio frequency (RF) to obtain your position and hence I mentioned a GPS "radio".

Again like my previous post mentioned: Most applications that use the GPS will also require data to work: Like Maps - it will use the GPS to get your coordinates via GPS but it has to load the map itself via a data connection.

Need more proof?
    Attached is a screenshot from my phone using Motion-X GPS with no data connectivity (SIM removed and WiFi off).

Still stubborn and think I am wrong?
    Ever looked inside of a 3G? I will link a picture but there is an Infineon PBM2525 Hammerhead II chip attached to the logic board. So what does that mean? Here is the information straight from Infineon:
    "Hammerhead™II integrates a high performance AGPS baseband processor and a low-noise GPS RF front end."

Before you ask here are some sources for you:
    Inside the 3G - Mentions the location of the GPS chip.
    Here's a link to Infineon.

Lastly, here is the screenshot from my iPhone. The application I use is Motion-X GPS. There are other apps you can use to do the same thing but that is the one I have. Feel free to Google the location and look at the top of my house.

Attached Files:

7. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    bumpy bump please help!!
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

As long as you get an iPhone that hasn't been updated to 3.1 you will be fine using it how you want. Even if it is on 3.1 I'm guessing there will be a jailbreak released for it but it may be easier to get one that is on 3.0 or 3.0.1

If you use it without a SIM card installed it will give you a popup message every time you unlock it. That can easily be fixed with any SIM card (does not have to be activated or anything), or I believe there is a hack to fix it as well.

Sorry for not answering your questions earlier; and if it is still unclear the GPS will work without data connectivity

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Hellishness

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks!
    just another question that came up last night between my friend and i, where can you buy iphones and take them home without activating them in-store? i really want one new, but if you get one at an apple store you have to sign a contract right there and activate it. i would just take it home and jailbreak to so i can use it as an ipod touch.
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you bought one brand new without a contract they might let you walk out without opening it.

Aside from that; eBay is my only guess but a lot of those have still been opened.