Please give me a straight answer for the best jb tool

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Spectrum8, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Spectrum8

Spectrum8 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have tried to use quickfreedom on two different computers and neither of them work. One comes up with an error when installing quickfreedom (sorry can't remember which one but searched and couldn't find fix for it anyway on google) and the other seems to do it all right but when its finished i look and there isn't any cydia or installer on my ipod. I checked the box to install the installer in step 2 but it still didn't work. I used the download button on step 1 in quickfreedom so i had the right firmware and installed the libusb, although i did not create custom firmware in step 2 because the computer would get stuck when creating it (wouldn't progress any in the bar). I'm running windows xp sp3 with 3.4ghz and 2gb of ram so plenty of power. Ipod is 2g and has 2.2.1 firmware on it. I'm just looking for an answer to my quickfreedom problem or another tool altogether to use (not redsn0w because i don't want to buy OS 3.0). It needs to be unteathered and not too complicated if possible. Thanks a ton in advance.

edit: Wait....i thought all the redsnow stuff made you download 3.0 update? Thanks for the quick answers though and not yelling at me for asking a question i'm sure people have already answered a hundred times lol. I'll try it out and update this again.

edit2: Downloaded it, read notepads, extracted files, ran, and it says "unable to recognize specified IPSW". ??

edit3: Nevermind didn't realize redtool was a tethered jailbreak....what EXACTLY do i download and use to jailbreak my 2.2.1 ipod without buying the 3.0 software (no redsnow 0.8).
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Agree.

None other.
  4. Vaughands

Vaughands New Member

Jailbroke on redsn0w 0.8 in ten minutes. Simple, elegant, Windows 7 compatible, no libUSB. Nothing. Simple.
  5. Spectrum8

Spectrum8 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do i use the 2.2.1 firmware when i browse for the firmware or do i need to download something else?? Please point me to the exact file as i am apparently not getting the right one even though its from the quickfreedom link and i even tried another file of it from somewhere else, neither work. "unable to recognize specified IPSW" is what i'm getting.

edit: Also i'm going to be jailbreaking my ipod on a computer that doesn't have the backup for restore. Is it ok if i jailbreak with redsn0w (assuming it works) and then restore my backup from another computer?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I could really use some answers if anyone knows. I really want this to be jailbroken by the end of today if possible because i've been working on doing it for 2 days+ trying to find a working tool when they are supposed to take '10 minutes'...of course its probably the computer screwing it up (or me..) but still.
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    2.2.1 - redsn0w 0.3
    3.0 - redsnow 0.8
  7. moshonas

moshonas Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    well redsn0w for windows is the only option 'cause quickfreedom has stopped.
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    QuickFreedom sucked in the first place, its no loss
    The only reason anybody downloaded/used QuickFreedom was for NOR Only restores, but redt00l came out.

redsn0w is what jailbreaking is, quickfreedom was just a n00b graphical user interface exploiting 24kpwn for people who were afraid of a black screen with white text