iOS 4.1 Please explain the benefit to me?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TGITC, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TGITC

TGITC New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just bought an iPod touch 4G.

When this new 'Jailbreak' becomes available, what actual benefits will it give me in real life?

I understand that there are a lot of advantages for it on the phones - But not so much on the iPod touch... As far as I can see.

I would like to be able to install a mame player (as I am a big mame enthusiast) and I understand that jailbreaking it will allow me to do that. But what else?

I see a lot of threads saying 'I cant wait to be able to Jailbreak my new 4.1 iPod... But really, what will it enable me to do, that I cant do now, and might want to do? (Aside from install mame)

Genuine question. Please educate me

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks
  2. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Activate HDR, Themes, Lots of Tweaks... etc...
  3. TGITC

TGITC New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, so I googled HDR, but what with the crappy camera thats on it, less than 1 MP, I cant see that being of much use. Themes and tweaks, fair enough. But no real other functionality's?

I dont wanna sound like I'm trolling, but I just want to try and understand the hype about doing it. Everyone saying 'Oh yeah, I CANT WAIT' etc... Like doing it will suddenly make the device 10 times better.

I mean, its a great device. I love it. Thats why I bought it... I just wondered if it made it able to do something specific that I was not aware of.
  4. ipodtouchdude

ipodtouchdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Custom boot logo's and iBoot for iPhone 3GS, 4, iPod Touch 3g and 4g (ipad if the jailbreak is for ipad as well because im not sure). and the will allow android on the iphone and ipod touch and ps3 jailbreak.
  5. Jencryzthers

Jencryzthers New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    do whatever you want with "YOUR" device? instead of being lock and restricted to use apple approved apps and all.
  6. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    I tried jailbreaking and it made my ipad really slow and crashed every 5 minutes. Plus most of the themes reminded me of some kids myspace profile. (It hurts your eyes)

I think I'd stick with what Apple gives me. After all THEY are the ones who made the device, not some 13 year old. Plus over a billion apps, how can you NOT find one that you want?
  7. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's actually quite hard because 99% is pure crap.

Now on-topic:

Jailbreaking allows you to unlock the abilities Apple restricts you to. I name a few things that are great:
    = Be able to do anything you want with it. Tweak it like you want it. Have a custom lockscreen (like a different text on the slider), such things. Making it your personal device, and not some device with the apps you like on it.
    = Theming is great, look for great themes in the appropriate section in Multi-Touch Fans.
    = Probably one of the best: Being able to transform your iPod Touch into an iPhone
    = Being able to use your WiiMote to control your iPod
    = Just wanna add one more thing: probably what EVERYONE installs: SBSettings. It's probably the most popular tweak and it's extremely useful. You slide the statusbar, and boom, you have a few toggles you can set up just about anywhere on your device. Turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, Adjust Brightness, Take notes, on/off Frash (FLASH PLAYER!), go on, and on, and on.

Serious. I wonder why people don't do it. Don't be scared off by people like the post above me; probably he tried it once with an early version or kind of a failbreak. Plus that's an iPad, not an iPod.

Thanks for reading, hope you jailbreak when available. =)

8. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Technically we ARE on topic

I think I know what I'm talking about. (its my device after all) Its still an "iDevice. It doesn't matter what kind iot is. I used the jailbreakme.com deal.

Jail breaking is really for those kids who are never happy with what they get.
  9. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I didn't say that you don't know what you are talking about.

Comex did say that there were problems with iPads, but they were soon fixed. Try it now (if possible), you'll see, you won't have that problems anymore.

And that's not the definition of jailbreaking. I cannot live w/o jailbreak, since Apple's lockdown is just too harsh, especially on a iTouch 2G.
  10. 12lochte

12lochte New Member

To me just sbsettings, being able to change the brightness in like 2 seconds from any app is worth getting excited about, but heck i would jailbreak just to use the flashlight app in cydia, the one that auto-turns up the brightness. Its harmless and easy, y not?

Also: activator is another huge plus, combined with flashlight you can hold the status bar and flashlight opens, basically i use jailbreak to speed everyday processes up, not slowing them down by installing to much.