Please Explain: Jailbreak, Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by marovingean, Mar 18, 2008.

1. marovingean

marovingean New Member

Howdy

First, may I apologise if this is either posted somewhere else or stickied, but I searched and all the information is out there, I just couldn't find it in one logical spot.

I need two things explained to me:

Jailbreak: What is it? How does it affect the iPod? Does it affect the iPod in any way? Does it affect the warranty?

Applications installer: How do I install them? What exactly do they do? Is there a way of getting any application on my iPod? Do they affect my iPod? If I install them, is that it? or can I restore the original settings?

Many Thanks,

M
  2. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

Jailbreak is a process that involves a series of exploits to gain access to the iPod's file system and be able to read/write, and by so, being able to install third party apps, etc.

By jailbreaking you void the iPod's warranty, however, if you restore, the iPod will be in 'jailed' state again, that means, it leaves everything as if it has never been jailbroken... So yeah, you can get back your warranty at any time by just restoring.

Installer is an application that lets you install another applications through sources (repositories)... once this are succesfully downloaded, your iPod will restart and your new application should appear on your homescreen.

:]

Edit: And yes, by restoring, all third party apps, and traces of a jailbreak will be wiped out of your iPod.
  3. marovingean

marovingean New Member

Thanks very much.

So where could I find the links for installing the jailbreak software?

M
  4. timmychan

timmychan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  5. marovingean

marovingean New Member

Thanks guys. Most appreicated.

M