Please explain audio drivers

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by dlstc, Apr 10, 2009.

1. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I googled it and checked out the sticky threads, and maybe I missed it, but could someone please explain what the earbud audio driver is and what it does. Also, is it better to be smaller or larger ie 9mm vs 13mm.

Thank you,
    Diana
  2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

Where is Chung when you need him...

From : http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151957

And Look here as well : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_driver
  3. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Okay, so I had read that part of the sticky but did not understand the relationship the tranducer had to the driver, until I read the wiki you posted.

If I understand the two correctly, the transducer/driver is the actual inner workings of the earbud that converts and transmits the sound. According to the wiki, smaller transducers/drivers may not have the desired bass while the larger drivers may not be able to handle the treble end of the scale as well. A 9mm driver might be tinny while a 13 mm would be bass heavy.

Am I understanding this?

Thanks again,
    Diana
  4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, I do believe you are correct. Although I'm not sure about that. I don't think the differences will be that drastic though...
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm not sure to be honest what the difference in driver size can affect to the sound. I know that drivers can be tuned, so I think that changes the entire sound. Dynamic drivers are born to have bass since they push out air, so I'm not sure.