Please don't judge the out of the box sound.

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by thechungster, Apr 5, 2009.

1. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is this thing called "Burn in" Burn is quite subjective and people can either believe in it or not. Burn in is when you play music, sine waves, pink noise etc... through your new headphones(Or IEMs). People believe that you need to burn in dynamic drivers to make the driver used and make how the makers wanted it to sound. However, balanced armature drivers doesn't seem to need it, whilst some models apparently do. So before you actually judge the sound of the headphones(Or IEMs) and then return them, wait and play around 100 hours of burn in to see if you really like them. I approve of burn in, since my IE8s need 350+ hours of it. ¬____¬

So if you are wondering if your new pair of headphones(Or IEMs) need burn in, simply put it in your post and I will try to reply to you.
  2. Duggeh

Duggeh New Member

In my experience, burn-in is almost entirely psychological. The getting used to a sound signature of a headphone. Run-in occurs during the first few hours of a transducer's motion. As for 350 hours, or as some K701 owners on head-fi were happy to claim during a burn-in FOTM a while back, 2500hours. That I believe to be nonsense.
  3. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't actually listen to the burn in. Only at certain periods. At first my IE8s sounded really terrible, but now I love them

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also 2500 hours sounds BS to me... Anyway can't blame users for not believing/believing in it
  4. TomPom

TomPom New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its the exact same princible with a RC nitro/petrol car, you have to run it in to get it used to running. So i understand that you would have to do a similar sort of procedure to get them working to there intended standard.
  5. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    350 hours, seriously? How do you even notice wether they sound different two weeks later?

6. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    By listening to the same tracks and listening to see any differences. In the first second I listened to it, bass was muddy but after 10 hours it started to clear up. More details were more aware, soundstage expanded. You just have to listen carefully.
  7. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Your ears got used to them. Whoa. Lol
  8. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not if I listen to them for only 10 minutes in certain periods (10 hours of burn in, 50, 100, 150, 250...) whilst swapping back to my Shure SE110s in between those periods.

9. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Idk I've got the original headphones.. So no idea why people get such expensive headphones
  10. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    [OFF TOPIC]: I have the AKG earphones and I was thinking of getting a better one. Can you (thechungster) suggest one below 100 euros?