Please define brick for me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mayhavebricked, Aug 25, 2009.

1. mayhavebricked

mayhavebricked New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just bought a used jailbroken ipod touch 1g for my little brother to fool around on and unknowingly he restored the ipod from the settings. now it only turns on and shows the apple logo.

It has the ability to go into recovery mode, but our pc only detects a pair of usb 2.0 connections. Also, i've tried dfu mode but the pc only detect an apple mobile device or something like that and returns a code 10 error which states the device can not be started.

iTunes does not detect the ipod under any conditions

I've tried reinstalling itunes and it's various counterpart programs, reinstalling the drivers, using different usb ports and workstations. have not tried it on a mac but i don't really have access to one that i know of.

should i just take it in to the apple store and see if they know what's going on?
  2. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Brick: n or v, when an iPod touch screen is black and it is unresponsive and unrecognized by a mac or a pc. It is 100% useless like a block of brick.
    Fact: NO ipod is EVER brick'd.

And for your problem. Turn it off if you can. Hold the home button and connect to computer untill you hear a noise from you computer or a pop up saying this device need a restore. Then let go of home button.
  3. mayhavebricked

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok what's happening is itunes is refusing to detect the ipod eiither in recovery mode or dfu mode.
  4. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try a different computer, especially if you have Vista
  5. mayhavebricked

Device:
    iPod touch
    i've tried 3 so far, all pc's. I guess the question is did the jailbroken firmware affect the manual restore so that the ipod is not recognized as an ipod anymore? i don't actually know the degree of the modifications, but can i possibly manually flash the ipod with the latest firmware while circumventing itunes connectivity? also redsn0w does not work as the ipod is detected but the device can not be started (code 10) while it is in dfu mode. i constantly get hardware installation failures.
  6. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Brick
    1. pl. bricks or brick. A molded rectangular block of clay baked by the sun or in a kiln until hard and used as a building and paving material.
    2. An object shaped like such a block: a brick of cheese.
    3. Informal. A helpful, reliable person.

Oh, and, by the way, DFU is a hardware thing, so, it is impossible to brick a touch, software-wise
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Put it into DFU mode and not recovery mode. There's a difference. Also, reboot the computers.