iPhone 3GS Please clear up 3gs vrs blackra1n issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buckchucko, Jan 19, 2010.

1. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I've jailbroken and unlocked many itouch and iphones to date. All working fine. Used ownage tool and blackra1n ect. So I understand things fairly well. However.....

I will cop a new 3gs 32gb tomorrow. It comes unlocked (buying in China). I use a Vista PC....

I will want to jailbreak it. I know Blackra1n will leave me with a tethered jailbreak. Fine. BUT will it effect my unlock? I do not use AT&T obviously. I can't find a clear answer on this anywhere. I only read Blackra1n will only work if you use AT&T. That sounds like it will screw up my unlock.

OR, is there an option to jailbreak/unlock this 3gs with pwnage on my Vista PC?
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If it is a true factory unlocked iPhone blackra1n will not effect the unlock but don't run blacksn0w.

If you have any problems a factory restore will be safe for you regardless of the firmware and it will remain unlocked.

If you don't want to run blackra1n Pwnage Tool may work for you depending on the iBoot of your new iPhone.
  3. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Is there any way I can verify if it is a "factory" unlock? All I know is this is a big phone dealer here and they said "it comes already unlocked". I know they don;t do anything to it themselves, but I have no idea if it a factory unlock.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Hmm.. how much is it? Factory unlocked ones goes up to $1000.
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

More than likely it is not a factory unlocked iPhone but they are out there. It is possible to Jailbreak an iPhone, unlock it and hide all evidence of it.

Like ChrisL mentioned a factory unlocked 3GS would cost anywhere from $700 - $1000.

Here's my only thought to check that it is a factory unlocked iPhone; you would have to do a factory restore; if it is still unlocked after a restore you are good.

If they won't let you do a factory restore; if it has the new iBoot and is jailbroken it will be tethered so try powering it off: if they did the JB and the unlock and deleted the blackra1n icon it will not power back on (you will get the connect to iTunes picture). However, this will only work for a 3GS with the new iBoot.

Apple used to have a website to check the model number of your iPhone and see where it came from but they have since taken the model information down. You might want to check the model number and search for it on Google but I am not sure if the factory unlocked iPhones have a specific model number or not.

Good luck; let us know how it goes.
  6. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thank you guys for the input.

I did pay $900 for this iphone.

I know it's not jb'd, which is what I want to do with it.

I don't want to do a restore to know about if it is factory unlocked or not. Seems to me that could be dangerous way to find out.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, here's the update

Just picked up my new 3Gs. This is the deal..(it's all good) Remember I bought it in China.

Sooooo sweet! It is brand new and indeed unlocked. But wait, there's more.....

It's running 3.1, 5.11 bb AND serial number is 938! No jailbreak installed but they already have blackra1n sittin on the desktop.

So I just ran it from out of the box, installed Cydia, and BAM.....jb'd no sweat.

I got home and plugged it into iTunes. When it came up, I registered it (no sim inside). Then it comes up again and iTunes asks me if I want to restore it with another iPhone backup. (I got 3 other iPhones already). I choose my other iPhone 3G and iTunes installed everything including apps, music, contacts,etc. When it finished, I had a full dupe of my 3G with no hassels.

Now I got a 32gb 3Gs fully functional, unlocked, jailbroken without a single problem. Doesn't get better than that.

Anyway thanks all for the input.
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

So you are still not sure if it is a factory unlocked iPhone. Since it has a the serial xx938... it has the old iBoot (so it is an untethered jailbreak).

Since it already had blackra1n installed it was already jailbroken; all you did was add Cydia. Also, since blackra1n was already installed whoever you bought it from probably justr ran blacksn0w (done through blackra1n) to do the unlock and it is not a factory unlocked iPhone.

Do a backup of the iPhone and do a restore; I'd bet money it is not a factory unlocked iPhone; hopefully I am not right but let us know.
  8. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so wait, bb xx948 is non tethered right?
    strange cuz my 3gs is xx949 and i restart it without any problems :S
    By the way, most likely if it came with the blackra1n icon on the springboard, the iPhone is not factory unlocked and will lose the unlock when you restore it.. all they did was use the blacksn0w unlock... and if this is true then you got ripped off for the iPhone because they go for 600$ here in canada for the 32gb, and im sure its cheaper in the US
  9. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

There are some exceptions to the serial number thing; if you check your iBoot version it is going to be the old one. The serial number trick is not a definite thing but a general rule.