Play the current ipod song in iTunes

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by dranktherest, Dec 15, 2009.

1. dranktherest

dranktherest New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    After reading this article, TUAW - Airlock, I have renewed faith that a dream app of mine will come to fruition.

Wouldn't it be great if iTunes would start playing the song you are currently listening to on your ipod when you get in range of your computer. I have my Macbook (10.5) set up to broadcast wifi for my ipod to connect to, so I'm sure it knows what devices are connected; but I imagine this can be done with bonjour as well.

The app would work somewhat like this: my Macbook would recognize when my ipod comes into its range, find out what song is playing (most likely through a MobileSubstrate-type background process), and start playing that song with iTunes in sync with the ipod. The goal is to have it set up so that, when I get into my apartment, I can take out my headphones and continue listening to my music without skipping a beat. (Though a skipped beat would be acceptable considering there is nothing like this out there so far) I imagine a lot of users would enjoy using this, and it really is a futuristic use of technology.

I have a 1st gen ipod, so I would need it to work via wifi even though the TUAW article says that Airlock works with bluetooth.

Thanks and hopefully this can become something real.