Play count not updating properly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by me10lee83, Jan 2, 2009.

1. me10lee83

me10lee83 New Member

When I connect my iPod touch 2nd gen to iTunes the play count for songs played recently on the ipod don't show up in iTunes, only songs played on the iPod THROUGH iTunes.

For example, I was listening to my ipod in my car/through headphones and the playlist shows 271 songs in this playlist on the ipod, and when I plugged it in at work today, itunes shows 350 songs. The "last played" date doesn't show all the songs I've listened to on the ipod, only the songs that were last played through itunes.

Also, on the ipod itself, I noticed the playlist doesn't count unless I actually turn the ipod off and back on (like hold down the power button and turn it off, not just put it to sleep). It didn't used to do this, I only just started noticing this maybe a month ago and I've had the ipod since September.

I have iPod software version 2.2 (this didn't start happening in connection with a software update or anything) and my iPod is (and always has been) set to manually sync.

Any ideas why this is and how I can fix it? I've tried restoring my ipod and then copying all the music back but it still does this.
  2. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have the same problem...
  3. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Restore? if not then take it back to the shop
  4. me10lee83

me10lee83 New Member

I've already done a restore, that didn't seem to work. I get the feeling they won't consider this an issue that deserves to be replaced under warranty. Lots of others seem to be having this issue from what I've seen on here. I suppose I could take it to the Apple Store and see what they say.
  5. robodude789

robodude789 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have the exact same problem, was this a problem for the 1st gen when it came out?
  6. me10lee83

me10lee83 New Member

Genius bar?

Has anyone having this issue taken their ipod to the genius bar at the apple store to see what they have to say about it?
  7. Razzi

Razzi New Member

i have the same problem and it infuriates the hell out of me. it's not just play count either, ratings have an even bigger fiasco.

what kills me is that apple can create 30000 roadblocks that prevent 3rd party programs from accessing the touch to copy out songs. but they cant make itunes, a program made with 1 product in mind, the ipod, to work with said product.

play count updates everytime a song starts playing and it counts down to 0:00, meaning you can play a song and skip to the end and it will update. knowing this, i purposely added play counts to like 20 songs.

plugged ipod into itunes, it shows up as me playing 3 songs 1 time each, none of which was the 20 songs i experimented with.

i also have a most played playlist and it doesnt sort it out either, it just piles random stuff all over the place. the most played song would be somewhere in the middle and the songs with 1 play count is at the top and bottom.

wtf.
  8. joorowned

joorowned New Member

Another problem why people dont like iTunes

Please Register or Log in to view images

Personally, I dont really care about playcounts, but if you have a problem with it, I suggest you send a "suggestion" to Apple and they'll possibly change it in the next firmware.
  9. Razzi

Razzi New Member

Well I make playlists around these things. When I'm at work or on a separate comp. My playlists craps out cause nothing from the iPod is coming over to the computer
  10. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I also have the same problem.