Plastic Cases and Drops

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lildudejds, Dec 10, 2007.

1. lildudejds

lildudejds Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have an Iskin Evo3 for my 5th gen. I really love it because i feel it's safe if i would happen to drop it. I'd get the new iskin, but it has had some bad reviews and I also don't think i would get it in time for Christmas(is the shipping still being delayed).

Ive been looking into hard ones. How do these things hold up on drops? I would think they wouldn't be near as safe, they look like they would crack easily, or not absorb the shock as well.

I wish contour would release the showcase. I had one for my 3rd gen, and all though it's thick, i got the best of both worlds with plastic and rubber.
  2. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

I just put up my review of the iSkin case today. Might be helpful to you, or it might not (I don't claim to be a good review writer =P ). The shipping for mine was a bit slow, I ordered it essentially the Monday after Thanksgiving and just got it today - took 8 days to ship out and 3 days on the road to actually get to me.

As far as dropping... I probably wouldn't really feel good about dropping my Touch while in the iSkin case from a height of more than few inches. The silicone is thicker than what you get off of eBay for a few bucks, but not by too much. A hard shell case would most definitely be better if you think drops might be an issue.
  3. eoen

eoen New Member

he was asking how the hard cases react to drops not wether the iskin is worth the hastle or not

Please Register or Log in to view images

i only say this cus ive been wondering the same thing
  4. lildudejds

lildudejds Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think im gonna go with the capsule touch, that case looks sweet.
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have a Belkin iClear...
    Luckily I havent droped it on a hard surface yet...
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The Capsule looks nice, but I honestly have no faith in hard cases. Even the flocked aluminum cases seem like they would provide an absolute minimum of shock protection. Basic physics pretty much tells you flat out: Almost all of the shock experienced by a hard case hitting a hard surface without any padding (or with a minimal amount of padding or flocking) will be transmitted to the device within. Without flexibility in the case to spread the shock to the case rather than what's in it, there's no way of sparing the device from the same impact. The only thing hard cases do is prevent dents and scratches, not shocks.

I tend to stick with leather cases. They look nice, and they absorb a lot (if not most, depending on the case) of the shock experienced from a drop because the case has plenty of give to distribute the shock around the case and away from that which it is protecting.

Even silicone cases don't absorb much of the shock. They are made of firmer material, and while it has some give at the point of impact, the shock has very little lateral distribution around the case; whatever inertia is left over from the small bit of silicone that absorbs a bit of impact goes right to the device.
  7. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    +1

I have a leather case, it has protected my touch well. I've dropped my ipod on the floor (hardwood) once and nothing happened.
  8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I've done the same. (Not with my Touch yet, thank Og, but with my iPod Video and cell phone it's happened a number of times.) None of my devices have ever come to harm in a nice leather case.

To put in more common terms: There's a reason automobiles have crumple zones. They're the bits of car that absorb the impact and direct as much of it away from the passenger cage as possible. Leather cases are basically full-body crumple zones. Except you don't have to buy a new case when it crashes.

Plastic and metal don't have crumple zones. They're full-body passenger cages.

Silicone just bounces. Bouncing is bad.