Planning on buying an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rossi!, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Rossi!

Rossi! New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello, I was looking into purchasing a new phone, preferabbly an iPhone, I'm eligible for upgrade on Aug 24th, and I've been pretty excited on maybe purchasing one, my only real question, has to do with the plans. I've read that you have to have the $30 data plan, is this true and necessary, and I was wondering if there was any way you can purchase the phone without the data plan, because I don't live in an area with 3G coverage so I don't see it of much use, I was planning on maybe buying just the unlimited internet for $10. Thanks for your time, cool forums btw

Please Register or Log in to view images

!
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unfortunately for you, AT&T requires that you purchase a $30 data plan. EDGE isn't THAT bad, but I understand that you want your money's worth. Perhaps you could ask an AT&T sales representative very nicely for a discount or something...
  3. Rossi!

Rossi! New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the quick reply, wow that's terrible..a friend of mine who has been a long time customer of AT&T also attempted to upgrade and they wouldn't budge on the cost of the data plan, and told him if he didn't want to "fork out" additional costs, he might as well leave, and that's what he did, I was wondering if I could just purchase the phone and after the first month cancel all of the data, media net, and just use wifi?
  4. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think, only a theory, i haven't tried it or anything, that you can remove it via an online account, i was looking around my account today and i think i saw an option to drop the plan.

Edit:
    My bad, was looking at the At&T Navigator option thing... lol. 0.o
  5. jenifarjack

jenifarjack New Member

Hi...

I am going to buy a new mobile and I am thinking to buy iphone. so can u please tell me that is it preferable or not? is it get sticky or not?

thanks
    jenifar
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Are you asking if the iPhone gets sticky?

From the best of my experience, it doesn't.
  7. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have the same question.

I want to get the iPhone 3GS, but here in canada, fido (phone carrier) makes us get the $30/month data plan and its mandatory along with our contract.

I was wondering if it was possible to cancel the data plan after the first month, if so, how much would this cost? and what are the consequences?
  8. 3gsreviewer

3gsreviewer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It's about $200 to cancel your contract. So about $400 for an iPhone 3GS
  9. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

$200.

The cheapest plan on fido for the iPhone 3GS is around $249 CAD.

+ 200 would be almost 500, with tax, it almost reaches $600. along with the contract we have to pay.

10. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Come on, don't tell me you don't have a mobile phone. Get an iPod touch 2G and keep your phone. Or wait a couple of months and get the 3G when it comes out. I have a 2G and I'm very happy with it (jailbroken, of course).