Pitch Control on a Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by blksqrl187, Nov 19, 2007.

1. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

Hey guys, did the standard search of the forum for this topic and came up empty. Has anyone heard of or know of a pitch control for playback of music from an ipod touch?

I've been DJ'ing for about 12 years now, semi-professionally. I do a lot of my own producing and edits (d'n'b/jungle/liquid mainly) and although I generally just burn CDR's, sometimes when I get to a gig, its turntables and mixer only (no CDJ's). Is there a function of the Touch's music player than might allow pitch modifications of playback so that, say I could play a 176 BPM track at 179 BPM?

I've looked on Google and theres chatter about the possibility of such a function, but nothing specific.

Thoughts? Cheers.

-sqrl
  2. Snowspot

Snowspot New Member

not only pitch, the touch could use a real equalizer and some decent mixing software....
  3. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

there you go. Granted, I'd much rather keep the signal clean from the ipod and do my eq'ing on the mixer channel.

Good idea tho... c'mon developers!

Please Register or Log in to view images

-sqrl
  4. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

only one i see...
  5. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

isnt there a machine you can plug most ipods into that does all that stuff?

like an ipod DJ?

I'll do a quick search right now.. I remember seeing one

http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/14/numark-dueling-ipod-dj-mixer/

This thing looks pretty sweet.

its not an app but its relatively cheap and would be much better to work with than a smelly app
  6. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

Looks interesting, but its only as good as the converters. I'm all about keeping that signal path clean.

It would be useful to have like a launch-pad type control of a single audio track, like a flat button (like tapping a pad on a SP303) to trigger launch with pitch control of said track available beside it. Hmmm... simple, right?
  7. sinclair.research

sinclair.research New Member

Abelton Live on Itouch ?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hep, I'm also much impressed by the itouch. In fact the jailbreak is giving this little extra, you know, as when you go eat out and say, I won't fast food ( e.g itune store or stupid calculator ) but A REAL MEAL !!

So as this is the real thing of the itouch, to put people thinking together, create communities, I'd love to get people involved into tools for Live or modul8 software control. Midi instruction and stuff, I got the basics but the i3L software ain't working, maybe because I stick to my Powerbook G4 ?

Keep the undergound alive.......

Any clue ?
  8. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

TrackLauncher IDEA

Now this is some cool tech... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0FwRyCKQI
    Ableton Live + Ipod Touch = CRAZY

I'd like to develop the idea of a non-playlist based music launcher app for the iPod Touch/iPhone, utilizing the same kind of 4x4 pads or even a 2x1 setup with pitch fader for both buttons.

[Pad1] Pitch Fader -------|-------- [+0%]
    Song File: MYNEWTUNE1.WAV
    [Pad2] Pitch Fader ----------|----- [+4.3%]
    Song File: MYNEWTUNE2.WAV

With this idea in mind, one plugs a Y-cable from their iPod's headphone jack to a DJ Mixer (or whatever playback device). When app is launched, one would tap the pad [Pad1] or [Pad2] which would immediately launch the track. By modifying the slider on the pitch fader of the currently playing track, you can hear the pitch/tempo shift. OR... If say, I wanted to play MYNEWTUNE1.WAV (originally 176BPM) at +2.4%, I could dial that into the Pitch fader beside it, and launch it on the fly.

I know actually being able to beatmatch off the touch would be a feat, but I think this App has a lot of potential for us live-performance people who don't have: CD Decks or the extra money to get their own dubs cut at a cutting house.

Just thinking out loud, for now...

-sqrl