Piracy Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Kid Dynomite, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Since this forum has a strict no piracy discussion. I think that the discussion of mewseek should be considered piracy too because you can obtain free music from that. I'm not sure if it already is on this forum just saying?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I don't know all the details of mewseek, but it is similar to this. There are websites that host pirated / copyrighted material of other entities, but members are still allowed to link to those sites' legitimate sections / information. For example, [PIRACY.tb].org is a haven for piracy, but there are legitimate uses (notably the iPhone Dev Team's software).

While it may not be the majority of content; there is probably some legal music on the service in question.

I am not a member of the staff so I cannot comment definitively on this subject, though.
  3. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well mewseek is like limewire there is the free version and the pro version isnt using limewire for music illegal?
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mewseek =/= Illegal
    Using Mewseek to download music you don't own = Illegal
  5. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Once again, there may be legally available music as well as illegal music. In the case Limewire, the program itself is not illegal. However, using the program to illegally download music is illegal. The program itself can theoretically be used to fetch legally free content.

Same goes for *******s.
  6. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    See this is what im saying its like the ROM/ISO deal
  7. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No. ROMs are files. Mewseek or whatever the hell it's called, is a application / service. It's not illegal unless you do certain things with it. Owning a car is not illegal. Running down a bunch of kids at a school and then speeding away from the incident is, however, illegal.
  8. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^^ i lol'd ya i get what your saying so shoudl mewseek discussion be considered piracy its just like another application that shall not be named
  9. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I am not a member of the moderation staff so I cannot comment. Contact a moderator with your query.

Judging from experience, however, I think discussion of the mewseek service will remain in accordance with the rules. That does not mean that discussion about the acquisition of pirated material using said service will be / is allowed. Please understand that.
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    We can only suppose to hope that our members own the ROMs they use in emulators, use *******s to download legal files only and, similarly, either own the music they download backup copies of or only download legally free music.

As far as I am aware Mewseek allows legal music downloads so this is more a moral issue. If a user gives evidence on site here that he is using an app, such as MewSeek, or other tool to illegally obtain pirated material they will be disciplined under our site rules.

However, the apps you can use on your iDevices to download pirated App Store apps are only for that purpose. There are no legal IPA files. All App Store apps, whther free or paid, are copyright binaries. Thus discussion of any app that allows illegal dowbloads of App Store apps is completely forbidden on our forums and will not be tolerated.

Note that this is my overview of the situation and it may be corrected by the site admin or other mod if in error.

I hope this answers your question.