Piracy is a Very Big Problem in the Jailbreaking Community

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, May 8, 2012.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

Ambience likes this.
  2. qwasedral

qwasedral Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    PIRACY IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED.
    NEWS BOT MUST BE BANNED.

loljk, honestly, this doesn't surprise me very much
    pandaa, vahn, Aiwa and 4 others like this.
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Piracy is bad every where. It's not just the jailbreak industry.
  4. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    All my apps (including cydia) are legit and as soon as an untethered 5.1 jailbreak is released I will jailbreak again.

However, compatibility is a reason why I am put off buying cydia apps because I now have paid for a couple of apps which when I last checked are now useless.

Then there are other factors such as what the tweak does and whether it's worth it, can they pay for it, etc.

Piracy is not black and white unfortunately as much as people may argue.
    vahn, kona314, ToxicNinja and 4 others like this.
  5. ipod touch luva

ipod touch luva Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    i think that all paid tweaks should have a trial period. What if you buy a tweak and it either messes up your device or you realize that it's not what you want or need. How quick can you get a refund?? That's y I don't buy tweaks, but i don't pirate them either.

That's another reason y I don't buy, to find out that in the new version of the OS it's unusable like Tech3475 said. That would just infuriate me.
  6. halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Still no excuse. Buying software is like an invesment. You put some money in in hopes that it will perform to the highest extent possible and that the developer will continue to update and add features to it.

I was outraged when I saw my app "Hexacalculator" being pirated. It was $0.99 and I made it free eventually due to piracy. In a sense I can see why people would pirate a $30+ app, but something like Angry Birds or even my application that is only $0.99 is pathetic.
    Kiks52 likes this.
  7. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Sigh...another reason not to jailbreak. Temptation to get pirated apps songs, etc. must be crazy! Ad it's a temptation I personally don't need to get into or want to get into.
  8. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Everything should be free, and our earnings should come in the form of the happiness we're granting to other people :)

Utopia.
  9. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Much as it's repeated over and over, piracy seems to insurmountable and 'obstacle' to stamp out outright.

My guess is the vast majority of these pirates are kids without access to payment, and thus wouldn't be in a position to purchase anyway. It's 99% of the time not the price putting people off; were there a more accessible method of payment, I'm sure most would, but there really isn't.
    pandaa, Maverik, f41lurizer and 7 others like this.
  10. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5C
    I've noticed this trend for years. (I've been a developer for 35+ years myself). The ratio of 40-to-1 doesn't surprise me one bit. I've never seen an industry where more people think that the product of someone's sweat and investment should be given away for free. The only other one I know of is the healthcare industry. Everybody seems to think they have a "right" to get a doctor's time and expertise for free. Don't get me going.

-Max
    kurt178, wckdness, JoshH100 and 3 others like this.