Picture Guide to Setting Permissions

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by yanks111890, Mar 9, 2008.

1. yanks111890

yanks111890 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    TUTORIAL: Setting Permission in WinSCP!!

Unfortanuetly I can't do the pictures but if somebody wants to upload a vid to youtube ill add it here and rep you

Mods can you please change thread name to TUTORIAL: Setting Permissions in WinSCP

Anyway all of you came this far so here it is

1. If you haven't set up WinSCP or do not know how go to Stephen.4's thread here:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9978

2. When SSH'ed into your iPod go to the desired directory you want to put your files (If your adding an application go to /Applications or if you moved the directory /private/var/Applications)

3. Next locate your app or file you are adding and drag it into the directory (make sure you do not add it to a folder inside the directory)

4. Once the fileis added hit the refresh button on the toolbar (looks like a piece of paper with the green recycling arrows)

5. Locate your newly added file and right-click on it and select properties

6. Locate the box that says octal and enter "0755" (even if it already says it re-enter it)

6a. If adding an entire folder you MUST check the box that says set group and owner permissions recursively

7. Hit OK and your back at the directories page'

8. Your now done for a single file and it will work fine, but if adding an entire folding continue

9. Your app should work after a respring/reset but just to make sure in WinSCP go to the toolbar and select Commands>Open Terminal

9. When in terminal enter "chmod -R +s /Applications/(AppName).app" and hit excute

10. Now just a simple respring and you are finished and can enjoy your new application

Please comment and again a video to add would be great
  2. yanks111890

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    anybody?????
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Definitely useful knowledge. I can try to make a vid sometime this week, though I have a lot of schoolwork, and then there is xbox to be played.

* Suggestion: It might look a little neater if you put the commands in bold print, as well as the headers and numbers.

EDIT: Also, /private/var/Applications should be symlinked anyway, so /Applications and /private/var/Applications can be used interchangeably.
  4. yanks111890

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    bored so i figured id bump since i just saw a post where sum1 couldnt set permissions