[PICTURE GUIDE] Setting Up WinSCP *Noob Guide*

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Steaps, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    --------------- Looking to use this information/guide in your guide/site? ---------------
    As long as your not selling it, you provide the link to the guide when it's done, and I'm credited, feel free to include the information and images.

*Notes*
    - Guy's enough with the PM's. Everything i know about this is posted on this thread.
    - Yes this is compatible with the new 2.0 firmware.
    - Some users are reporting (Jocko) that unblocking WinSCP, or making an exception in Windows Firewall will cure most of the problems with connecting.

WinSCP is a program that allows you to view, edit, add, copy, or move the files from your computer to your iPod Touch, or vice versa.

Alright i have been noticing threads being started over, and over again about how to connect to WinSCP. SO i decided to make a picture guide to try and get rid of these threads from starting again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

0. Install "OpenSSH" from Installer or Cydia. This is a KEY step needed, as you have to have it installed for this to work!

1. Go HERE , it downloads WinSCP 4.1.7, i saved it to my desktop.
    [​IMG]

2. Double-click/open up "winscp405setup". The installation setup should come up.
    [​IMG]

3. Hit "Next", the "License Agreement" should come up.
    [​IMG]

4. Hit "Next" again, the "Setup Type" should come up, i choose typical as it is recommended.
    [​IMG]

5. Hit "Next" again, the "Initial User Settings" should come up, i choose "Norton Commander Interface" because it was recommended on mine.
    [​IMG]

6. Hit "Next" again, the "Ready To Install" should come up.
    [​IMG]

7. Hit "Install", It should go through the installing setup, mine was too fast to get a picture. So, "Completing The WinSCP Setup Wizard" should come up. I choose "Yes, restart the computer now" option. Which i recommend.
    [​IMG]

8. Hit "Finish", your computer should now start rebooting. Let it reboot.

9. After rebooting there is a icon on your desktop called "WinSCP" double-click/open it.
    [​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    10. "WinSCP Login" should now come up.
    [​IMG]

11. Your host name is your iPod Touch's I.P. address. You can find this by going to your iPod Touch, Hitting Settings, Wi-Fi, Tap the blue arrow beside the Network your connected to, and then it's the number beside "IP Address" e.g. 123.456.7.89
    [​IMG]

12. Your user name is "root", your password is "alpine" and your port number is 22.
    [​IMG]

13. Hit "Save", you don't have to do this but it allows you to not have to type all that in every time.
    [​IMG]

14. A window appears, hit "Ok"
    [​IMG]

15. A new window appears, choose what you would like to save it as then hit "Ok"
    [​IMG]

16. Now your back to the main window, you will now notice that what you just saved is there, Hit "Login"
    [​IMG]

17. That window closes then a new one pop's up allow it to do it's thing. If a window pops up just press "Yes".
    [​IMG]

18. Congratulation's you have now successfully connected to your iPod Touch.

Guide by Stephen.4
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dfresh18

Dfresh18 New Member

noob for now

ur guides really helpful, so does that program enable u to download any app on to touch?
  4. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Yeah you just put it in th right folder
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, well pretty much, it has to work on the iPod Touch and it has to go in the Applications folder.
  6. Sianspheric

Sianspheric New Member

Thanks Steven,

I <3 idiot-proof guides
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    haha your welcome.
  8. Parham

Parham New Member

Thanks, Nice for noob :)
  9. chunti

chunti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    uhh i get access violation at adress 004097b6 write of adress 00401000 when i try to install
  10. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    at what point in the installation are you getting this at?