PHP Repository creator

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Pyrofer, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

can somebody make a php app that will create the .xml repository by looking at the directory and automatically aqdding the zip files it finds?
    it could auto calculate the size, date, hash and get name/description from the html file used for more info.
    you would only have to upload the zip each time then and not edit the main repository.
    makes adding new apps or updates a total doddle.
  2. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

sounds simple if you know PHP, i will give it a shot after x-mas if no one else does it first.
    so baisicly your after a form that will update the Repository and maybe even upload the zip.
  3. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

I was hoping that I could make a standard form fileapp.html and fileapp.zip, upload them and have the php automatically add them to the repository file.
    The html would be the "more info" page in the repos, and the php could take a couple of lines from it for the fields that it cant calculate, such as the catagory, name, description etc.
    Updating a program would then only be a matter of uploading the new zip file. The next time you refresh the repos, it would get the updated file with new hash, date, size etc.
    Im sick of manualy changing those each time I try a new app on my repos.

Ive been working hard all night and nearly have a complete .php repository generator!
    The idea is that when im done, all I have to do is upload a .zip and .html for the app, visit the .php file and it builds the whole .xml repository for me! I may make it take the version number from the zip filename instead of the HTML file, that way I never have to edit the html to update the zip.

update-
    Its done. I now have a working PHP repository creator. All I have to do is upload a basic file.html and the file.zip, and run the php. It creates a complete .xml repository with correct tags for all th file details. So much work saved!
  4. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

is it online? can you give me the link?
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

The php file needs a lot more work before I can upload it for general use. It is currently tailored specifically for my needs.
    Ill generalise it so that all the preferences are stored in a seperate text file. All you need then will be,
    prefs.txt
    iphoneapp.zip
    iphoneapp.html
    createrepository.php

You visit the php site in your browser, and it creates the repository.xml for you ready for people to use.
    To update, just change the zip file and assiciated .html, then run php again.
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How long do u think it will take to be perfect?

Btw: U could upload it now. We could just edit it to work for us.

I just need that because I don't really know what it looks like, I'm not able to make php scripts... It would be helpful if u could upload it, doesn't matter if it's finished...

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pyrofer

any chance of an early upload so i can get a feel of the php script before the full one comes out?

if you need a hand with anything give me a shout i can also make a video too =))

either pm me here or send me an email dude

shotgunfool@gmail.com

Cheers

Shotgunfool
  9. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

The PHP is finished and working as far as I am concerned, but it makes a lot of assumptions about the format of things.
    For example, the Maintainer and contact are the same throughout the file, for all apps. The zip files must be in a certain format, with the Appname as described in their HTML file being the name of the folder inside the zip etc.
    Its just not powerfull enough to be a generic generator. Ive added in the prefs file now, so with the prefs file and .html for each zip you can customize most things.
  10. Glisern

Glisern New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch