Photos on the iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smmoulder, Oct 17, 2007.

1. smmoulder

smmoulder New Member

I've set up a folder on my WinPC to hold pre-formatted photos for my iTouch. By pre-formatted, I've downsized them so they don't exceed the maximum pixel dimensions of the screen and are saved in JPG format using standard (not progressive) compression. Yet about 25% of these photos don't sync and I get a message in iTunes that the photos weren't copied because they can't be displayed on my iPod (sic).

Any clues as to what I need to do to my photos so they can all be displayed? Thanks in advance.

And btw, I did do a search here and didn't find any topics addressing this, so if there was one, please just point me at it and save the snide remarks.
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'd think that it would sync them. Try changing the format of the pictures are they JPEG?
  3. smmoulder

smmoulder New Member

As you can read in my original post, the photos are all JPGs. I found a solution and will post that shortly. The problem is actually quite common as you will see.
  4. smmoulder

smmoulder New Member

Turns out, this problem is unique to Windows PCs using an NTFS file system (typically anyone running Vista, XP or NT 2000). If you put your photos in a folder on a FAT drive and point iTunes there, the photos all copy and are free of random artifacts.

The easiest way to get a FAT drive (I'm assuming most folks would not consider repartitioning their hard drive easy or quick) is to use a USB flash drive for this. I have on old 128 MB drive and when I checked it's Properties in Explorer (right click on the drive and select Properties at the bottom of the menu), it showed it was a FAT drive.

Copy your photos to a folder over on that FAT drive (whatever it might be), go to the Photos tab in iTunes and point it at that folder.

There is one other trick to this - if that folder already as an iPod Photo Cache, delete that folder to force iTunes to regenerate new files which it will then sync to your iTouch.

BTW, this is apparently an iTunes bug, not an iTouch bug.

Longer thread about this is here.
  5. smmoulder

smmoulder New Member

And here is an Apple article on the problem where they blame SATA HD drivers. Hmmmm.....

Regardless, the USB flash drive fix works for me, but I have to believe this is still and iTunes bug.
  6. jcarroll

jcarroll New Member

smmoulder, did you find your pre-formatted photos were of better quality than those generated (reformatted) by iTunes (after resolving the NTFS drive/SATA drivers issue)?
  7. jezx

jezx New Member

Check the jpeg images are all RGB not CMYK color mode
  8. theopod

theopod New Member

Put Pics on USB

USB Flash drive method worked fine for me. I have hp Vista system. This problem really drove me nuts until I got wind of a solution. I still want to know what happens to the original file sizes of my transferred pics. If iPod touch downsizes them, I guess it is not a big problem. Just keep safe copies of your originals somewhere. I too wish Apple had just treated the 8Gb or 16Gb flash as just another drive so we could all use it as we wanted. Computers and technology are supposed to save us from extra labor.