Phone on your Pod? - My Musings on the Topic

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by EyesOfARaven, Nov 21, 2007.

1. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I was randomly thinking earlier about our lack of phone on our iPods. I was thinking that perhaps part of the dock port included audio-in, in which case we could make a mic/headset and have Skype ftw. I also came across the idea of a speech synthesizer. It'd suck, obviously, but we could do one of a few things:

- Have pre-recorded files play through the phone, starting with the fact that you're speaking using pre-recorded clips, and have things like "hello", "yes", "no", etc..

- Have a text-to-speech engine, like in windows control panel.. I'm sure there are plenty of OSS versions and Mac ones to boot... We could then type text in and the person would hear a crappy automated voice on the other side.

Perhaps the combination of both would make a somewhat useful phone experience? lol.. Just musings, I don't think it's something we really need to do, but someone may be out there trying to figure out how to make their iPod a phone, and this could be of interest. Either way it's fun to think about.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

3. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Yeah I believe I read that and it was part of what sparked my thoughts on this (not that specific page, but that somebody had found an audio-in). It would be even cooler than iPhone, IMO, if we could Skype with a headset, hehe. I don't use Skype personally, on my desktop, but on a iPod I'd quickly jump on the idea.
  4. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

You already linked that up there.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. berky93

berky93 New Member

that would be great! its cheaper than iphone service, and the ipod can hold twice as much! if you want an iphone for the phone but the touch for the memory and sleekness (i still cant believe its ony 8mm thick) then this could be a huge advancement. take that apple!