people needed helped that were unhelped and the people that didn't help them

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by bigbeefyburger666, Dec 3, 2007.

1. bigbeefyburger666

bigbeefyburger666 New Member

Yes i am a fairly new member i only have 50 posts but from what i have seen many people that are less knowledgeable about the touch are not helped. People think that they ask "stupid" questions or post the same question over and over. These people are just told to search and then not helped. I do not think this is the proper way to help them. Yes there are people that help but many "noobs" have gone unhelped and left not understanding the topic that they are asking about. I personally think that these people are not wasting our time by asking these questions they are seeking out help and if you think they are asking stupid question then you dont have to read thier posts.

If you have a question that has not been answered yet and you need help i am here. You can respond to this post or Send me a personal message if you dont want everyone to see your noob question. Although i am not a programmer and i am not the all knowing beeing i am here to help and i have edjucated my self on most topics of the touch.
    If you need help please let me know.!!!!!!!
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I usually try to help the best I can. I think the best way to help someone new, if the same question has been asked a hundred times, is to tell them basically what they are looking for, and tell them to search it. Once they learn how to seek answers for themselves they will be much better off. A lot of the noobs are seriously just being lazy by asking questions they can figure out themselves if they spend the time. It is very nice of you to offer to help out...
  3. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I have to say, Some of the mods here are poor at helping!Although some are great!
    And im young and know what its like to be ignored so help as much as i can!
  4. Fatfrank

Fatfrank New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I try to make the effort instead of just saying "use search".
  5. GrimmGreen

GrimmGreen New Member

hey don't point fingers at me.. ha ha , i spent an hour putting together a DVD to ipod tutorial just because some random noob asked and no one so much as said thank you. ha ha. no worries
  6. optikalefx

optikalefx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I guess its sort of a club feeling. Those of us that were here on day 1 of the first jailbreak and all the cheering that when on, and then guides that came up and such. Now when people ask basic questions like, what is ssh, or something, you kinda feel like they are being lazy because its easy to find. And im not gonna be nice and answer their question because they werent there when it all happend.

However, for the good of the iPod Touch community i guess ill be a little more helpful. lol. I answered tons of questions when we first found out about the jailbreak, so everytime one is asked it just feels repeated, like i read that a million times already did you even look?
  7. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

Noobs

We are all noobs in my book because we are forever learning. Your age and education doesn't mean you know everything. I feel if you can help a " noob " out by giving him/her the info they need or guide them in the right direction, can cut down on multiple threads about the same topic. I also feel that people who start " How To " or " Guide " threads need to explain word for word instructions, what items is needed to make it work , and if they can provide pictures that will help also. Stop Noob bashing , and keep the forums clean.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

I get your point... however, mostly all of those questions are already answered, and can be quickly found using the search feature.. questions like "What is a Jailbreak" and stuff like that has been answered since the forum came online... I'm just saying new people should make an effort on actually searching for whatever problem they have.
  9. ben471

ben471 New Member

I agree, however I don't like it when I see a new thread and the starter has one post and they're asking how to jailbreak. On the other hand sometimes people just don't know what they are looking for. It's hard to do a productive search about FTP if you don't even know that is what you're looking for.

I think a noob dictionary would be a good sticky. Someone just take a bunch of common words on the sight(FTP, Jailbreak, SSH, Winscp ect.) and give a quick explination. Have that stickied all over the sight. Just an idea.
    EDIT: It could be like a required page that you need to go to when you join. You must look at the words and then hit next and have a quiz, you have to pass the quiz before you are allowed to post

That would cut down on stupid questions.
  10. Rawd

Rawd New Member

........... "It could be like a required page that you need to go to when you join. You must look at the words and then hit next and have a quiz, you have to pass the quiz before you are allowed to post
    That would cut down on stupid questions.".........

Brilliant!