People keep suggesting a mobile version of this site...

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by iforget, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    And they're consistently told it will never happen. I'm just not sure why. A site targeted to iDevice users doesn't support their devices. It'd be great to make a mobile version, throw some iAds on it, and recoup the development costs pretty quickly (I hope). Am I completely wrong? Is this an impossible task? Would it cost tens of thousands of dollars or hundreds of hours? Are we saying "just okay" support is good enough?

I hope the dedicated moderators and administrators don't see this as a complaint. It's not. Much more of an inquiry. I'd like to say "Oh!", and never wonder about it again. It's just odd seeing nice crafted mobile forums on random topics and then coming here and having to make liberal use of pinch and zoom!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh no, not again...

Yeah, if they say no to everyone else, you think they'll say yes now? It would be nice, but we need to realize it's not gonna happen and stop asking.
  3. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The site looks and works fine on mobile devices. It doesn't need a mobile version.
  4. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Da mobile version ain't gonna happen mane.
  5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    just use opera mini and set it to show a mobile version of a page
  6. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You forgot the next sentence when you quoted me:
    High cost, lack of time, too much management required, etc.--all possibilities. It's cool if there's no mobile version. I just firmly believe the "NO MOBILE VERSION" message should be accompanied with a solid "because..." message.

Remember when your parents would tell you "you're not allowed to hang out with Johnny overnight!", and never gave a reason? And you kinda got annoyed? Perhaps that's how I feel.

Ah... The fact that Engadget has a fantastic mobile site makes me think of how cool iPTF could look!

7. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    None of these should actually be issues. This forum is powered by vBulletin and there several modifications that offer mobile-style functionality. It takes a total of 5 minutes to download and install, and maybe 30 more seconds to adjust the settings. It's free. And you can set it and forget it.

I realize this doesn't mean it has to happen, but I'm just saying that it's rather simple to get a mobile version up-and-running.

Here's a forum of a client of mine, on which I have installed a mobile skin: http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/.
    Scroll all the way down and select "mobile version". Do the same and click "Standard Version" to return. It may be horrendous, but as you can see: 1) It's optional, and 2) some people prefer function over form when browsing with a mobile device. Also, you can customize the mobile style.

Another solution is TapaTalk. It's free for webmasters to place on their forum. Users then buy the app from the app store, and have a nice sleek mobile version of the forum right on their iDevice: http://tapatalk.com/
  8. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is a difference between a blog and a forum though.

9. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What does that have to do with anything? The most popular part of this site is the forum. Having part of the site mobile-friendly and part of it not is still better than having it entirely mobile-UNfriendly.
  10. kp_centi

kp_centi Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.