Review Peggle

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by 48days, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Peggle

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 06, 2009
    Seller: PopCap Games, Inc. (iDP)
    © PopCap Games, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Version: 1.0
    10.2 MB

$4.99

Overview:

Peggle, is a port of the popular online game of the same name by PopCap Games. The game is essentially plinko extreme for all you price is right watchers. The goal of each level is to shoot a small ball and get as many pegs as possible, once you clear all the orange pegs, you've passed the level. Peggle has four gameplay methods all of which are super fun and addicting.

UI:
    Peggle has a relatively simple user interface. It's easy to use and is pretty much everything you would expect from PopCap and more. It starts you off with an always funny loading screen then goes to the home screen. The home screen consists of the four gameplay modes, stats, options and replays for your best shots.

Here are some scrnshts for a visual reference:

(via my iPod)

Gameplay:
    Peggle has four great gameplay modes, adventure, quick play, challenge and duel. The game in super fun and addictive and will leave you wanting to keep on playing through the night. In addition to the four gameplay modes, there's also ten different characters, each with different, easy to use hard to master, magic powers. One of the great parts that sets peggle apart from lots of puzzle games is that i t manages to still be challenging, but not frustrating. For example, if you make a terrible shot and miss all pegs completely, peggle lets you flip a coin to get your mess-up ball back. Peggle's adventure mode is also lots of fun to work though as you work towards filling up your trophy wall.

Here are some more scrnshts:

(via my iPod, once again)

Graphics and Audio:
    Peggle's graphics are reasonable, but still rather disappointing. The icon is just awful and doesn't suit the device at all. The audio is better but the song once you finish off a level is very loud and annoying. As for the in-game graphics, they are better than the icon, but they look like they were made for a different system, rather than the iPod/iPhone.

Some more scrnshts:

(via my iPod)

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Is it worth the price?

PopCap, unfortunately, just raised the price from one to five dollars which sucks, but even at five dollars, it's still a great game

Does it have strong re-play value?

The adventure mode takes quite awhile to beat and will keep you occupied for quite a while, and the other three modes are fantastic too. All-in-all peggle will keep you playing for weeks, even months.

Ratings (Updated): (out of ten)

Gameplay: ★★★★★★★★ - very fun
    Graphics and Audio: ★★★★★ - rather annoying, but decent
    Replay Value: ★★★★ - the adventure mode is very easily finished, and replaying the levels gets old fast
    Value for your Money: ★★★ - without a doubt a ten when it was still priced a $1 however for five times as much, it's a tough call
    Overall: ★★★★★ - Peggle is a great puzzle and a good time waster, I highly recommend it​

Links:
    Official Site: http://www.popcap.com/games/iphone/peggle
    On Twitter: http://twitter.com/popcap_games

As always, thank you for reading
    and I hope you enjoyed the review.
    If you liked it feel free to add me as
    a friend or follow me on twitter:
    http://www.twitter.com/joshvani

This is my ffith full fledged review
    so critique is still welcome (some
    suggestions on more FAQs would be
    nice).

Finally, check out my other, reviews:
    Frenzic, Twitterrific Premium(currently
    not working), Camouflage

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am glad I bought it when it was $0.99 even though I haven't actually touched it yet. That unicorn just convinced me. I will buy any game with an unicorn in it.

SUPPORT THE LAND NARWHALS!
  3. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Haha, very true. I can't really get over how bad the icon is though. I feel bad for people who can't theme.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I loved it on the PC and I loved it on the iPhone. Worth more than a 3.5 stars in my view as graphics are great and the only issue I had was with some end-of-stage lag, though each to their own and I can acknowledge that some won'T enjoy bouncing balls off pegs that much. A great port nevertheless. Well worth grabbing if it's still at 99 cents.
  5. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No, unfortunately it went back up to five dollars. If it had stayed at 99 cents and had a less annoying icon I would've probably given it a four or even four and a half. I think that price point is just too high, and not enough work went into properly porting the game.