PDFs on the touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Deadrise, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Deadrise

Deadrise New Member

Hi, im getting a touch ( like everyone else ) for christmas, and actually, i had a funny idea.
    Is it possible to read PDFs on the touch, with some kind of application?

Thanks.
  2. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes...with the PDF reader or with Safari..
  3. Ipodtouchftw

Ipodtouchftw Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes if you jailbreak your iPod and install PDFreader with Installer.
  4. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

or u can just use that mobile safari that comes with the ipod lol.
  5. velato

velato New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i've got one problem though,i cant open the pdf files...when i click pdf viever,it started to hang 4 a while,so i thought it is loading,but it return to home shortly...

Is it me or i put the files in the wrong place.....var/root/library/pdf...is this correct?
  6. Mikelm80

Mikelm80 New Member

Hi I am a new member and I would like to know how you can get safari to read the pdf
    online or from the ipod?
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, it's /var/root/Media/PDF I believe...

In terms of Safari, all you can really do it point it to the correct URL on the web - for example, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf

Now if you install the Mail app, you can mail PDFs to yourself and read them there as well... works for even large PDFs. Big problem is you can't just bookmark your place in a PDF which sucks...
  8. Snowspot

Snowspot New Member

Yeah I wish someone would fix up the PDF reader app.. I use it everyday on the subway to read books that I download.. It really sucks scrolling past 200+ pages to find my page in a 300 page book...

Safari and Apache works ok... until you touch the address bar by mistake and it scrolls all the way to the top of the page :-I making you lose your page....

There is seemingly no way to keep your place in a PDF file on the touch.. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE... why couldn't they just make a control-click type function on the touch? IF I could just hold the menu button and touch something and have that fuction as a right click.. a menu pops up with tons of new options, like GO TO PAGE... maybe I could actually cut and paste text(?!!) if apple did this. WTF is apple doing? In the last few months all this stuff has happened on the homebrew scene and for some reason they don't implement anything into the firmware... It sounds retarded to say.. .but if I was in charge of that division... the entire complany would be watching homebrew and what has been created from jailbreaking... It's the wave of the future, it's what the future of electronics will be... consumer created mods, hacking, personalization... pick up the pace apple before we find a new gadget that works better -_-
  9. scoplunk

scoplunk New Member

If you're trying to read books with PDF viewer, you should really download Books.app. It's a dedicated ebook reader and remembers the chapter/page you're on and has navigation bars, font sizing and a number of features that you always wished you had with PDF viewing. Frankly, I love the idea of PDF Viewer, but until it operates in landscape mode and has the kind of functions that Book has, I won't be using it much. Safari is much better, for now, but it isn't too convenient either.
  10. ric__30

ric__30 New Member

I was wondering if I put pdf files on my ipod touch, does the space that they take up use that of the application partition (ie. 300 mb limit) or does it use the space for media such as music and videos. B/c if it uses the app partition space, than it would be quite limiting for me since i won't be able to view larger lecture files