iOS 4.0 pdf patch worth it?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ethiopian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    All right, so as I'm sure many of you guys know, 4.0.2 breaks jailbreaks and also pdf files in safari. But this update in cydia, should I go through with it? It's not like I'm gonna be going on any jailbreakme clones any time soon, so why should I block every pdf-based site on the web? Like, there's a decent number of sites on the internet that use a pdf style and such. Are there really any harmful PDFs on the web that could even harm my ipod?

I'll probably skip the patch, but just thought I'd get your guys' opinion first.
  2. Ric914

Ric914 New Member

It only patches an exploit. It doesn't really block pdf-based sites.
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    all the patch does is fix the exploit, it wont affect your regular pdf viewing
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Sure why not skip a patch with a very harmful exploit!
  5. deepdvd

deepdvd Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'd be very curious to know of anyone except the dev team who have taken advantage of this harmful exploit. I'm betting most, if not all, have found it far more helpful than harmful.
  6. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok cool, thanks guys. It's just that I remember seeing an app on the app store that used a pdf interface that didn't work after 4.0.2, and when I had the patch before (on a previous jailbreak, had to restore due to an unrelated problem), a pdf file in safari wouldn't open (from a google search), but every other site would. I just assumed that all pdf safari sites were broke. But, if you guys say so, I guess I'll download it.

On a sort of related note, like you said deep, will anyone actually ever use this exploit? Most people that are tech-savvy enough (i.e. jailbreakers) know that you should only use trusted sources for jailbreaking your device (like jailbreakme.com) The thought of someone going "oh ok, I'll use this freewebs site instead" is sorta backwards to me.