Pc to ipod wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zink, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    when I connect the wire to myy pc it says limited connectivity and i cant access the internet what can i do?
    btw I'm at my uncles he has no wifi so I brought my laptop also it never works when I plug a wire in
  2. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You're trying to connect to the internet on your ipod by plugging it into the computer? If that's what you mean (sorry if this is wrong), you can't do that
  3. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    no but when I connect my laptop to the modem It wont access internet so from there i can not set up a ICS
  4. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    when you connect the laptop to the modem? is the ipod involved in any way? (i wont flame you if its not, its a real question)
  5. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    No kinda it's related that I want to connect to the ICS with my ipod
  6. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Correct me if im wrong, but you cant connect LAN to the iPod.. it only connects via wifi i.e. if you had a wireless router connected to that modem/ ethernet cable
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    He's trying to connect using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP... Can't offer advice since I haven't tried it myself, but I believe at the very minimum you need a way to share from your notebook to your iPod Touch and the only way to do that is via Wi-Fi (e.g., you need Wi-Fi on your notebook too). Direct connection won't work...
  8. akermar

akermar New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    possible solution

number 1 can you connect your laptop to the internet via your modem ?
    number 2 are you connecting to a lan at your uncles if so is it set up with a proxy or firewalls
    number 3 do you have wifi on your laptop?

if number 1 you need to make sure your modem driver is installed correctly and setup phone number etc to connect.
    if number 2 can you connect to the lan and get internet on the laptop

if niumber 1 or 2 is ok and you have number 3 you can then make a adhoc network and share the internet connection with the ICS wizard in windows this then makes the laptop a router and sends the lan signal out the wifi there are guides around to do this.

number 4 what operating system are you using if xp sp1or below you will find it very difficult to set up a adhoc network you can get third party programs to do it though.

hope this helps if you need further help pm me and ill see what i can do to help
  9. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ok i figured it out now but When I connect to it with my ipod and with the wep key it says unable to connect but it has a checkmark by it and can access the internet and whenever it disconnects I have to put the wep key in again which gets annoying