PC: RTS emulator

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by stekkerbox, Jan 11, 2008.

1. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

since i have installed red alert one on the psx4all i have been wondering myself.. woudnt it be sweet to have a rts emulator on the ipod? not a rts that you can play using the buttons of a gaming console but just with the touchscreen? red alert plays on the playstation quite well in my opinion so woudnt it be possible to port it to the touch plus similair games like mayby dune or the first c&c games? i am by no means a programmar so i here by apoligise for if it is a retarded question, and sorry for my poor spelling as well.
  2. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Not sure how well you would be able to micromanage using the touch screen, hehe.

Thought I doubt that a generic "PC: RTS" emulator could be made. Since they all run on different engines, there would be nothing to base it on. Not to mention they are made for the PC, and the iPod is essentially a Mac.

ScummVM essentially did the same thing for point and clicks (Eventually integrated support for lots of different point and click engines), however the ScummVM project has been going for years!
  3. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

Thats a pity then

Please Register or Log in to view images

woudnt be possible to release those games without an emu? if someone wants to do it that is.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

That person would either need the source code to port it and modify it to work on the Touch, or remake it completely from scratch. The former is not possible since the source code is not publicly available, and the latter would take a considerable amount of time to get it working as well as the original.
  5. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

ow ok i see.. funny how ea has released command and conquer as freeware while still keeping the source code for themselfes :s

btw here are some open source rts-games

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/485265/free_rts_open_source_gamers_guide_to.html

not sure that the games in the link above could work on the touch but mayby its worth a look.

and stubled across this while googling

http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectInfo&pid=7HTDMEKAVEL4H5KFGT62VP9APC
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/freecnc/

so if im right in theory you could use that code and a skilled programmer (with obviously a lot of time) could eventualy make this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freera/

and this is the one for red alert.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Oh, I'm sure it could be done. The real question, which always comes up in cases like this, is how to control it. With such a small screen and only big fingers to control, it becomes much more difficult to manage everything you need to manage on the screen the same way you would with a mouse or stylus. The only sensible way to go about it is to come up with a completely new control paradigm that is suited to and designed specifically for the touch instead of trying to shoehorn the existing control method into working with a touchscreen. That would take some work, too.

Again, entirely possible, it's really more a matter of figuring out how to play it in a way that makes sense in the context of a small multitouch screen.
  7. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

if you turn the screen sideways and use the whole screen it could be possible.. tap once and drag to select your units, tap once again to move and tap twice to cancel order mayby? and mayby 4 transparent buttons on the side like gbsphone one for scrolling up the building que and one for scrolling down and same with the units. and then 2 butons to select and cancel building orders. or something similair like that.
  8. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

something like this

and if anybody asks - it took me over 9000 hours in mspaint to make.
  9. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Your idea seems pretty similar to OpenTTD, so I'm sure it could be implemented. It just has to do with what RTS games to port, and getting somebody who knows how to port them.
  10. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

All we need now is a talented programmer to pick up this project. I had thought that a idea like this would get a litle more atention... Am i the only c&c and ra nut here?