PC/Mac-side Applications

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Scythal, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm not too sure where to post this, and I hope I didn't miss anything that would already have been said about that. There are a few promising applications for iPhone and iPoT, running on the PC or the Mac, like:
    Has anyone already had a look at these? The Manzana API, that allows to communicate with the iPhone/iPoT through USB, seems very interesting to build applications on, but the last commit was on August 17th. It is included in iPhoneList, where its last commit is barely more recent (27th), so I'm wondering whether it's dead or has moved somewhere else. Shame.

This API is for Windows, I don't have MAC OS and didn't check that platform yet but I'm sure the same kind of hacks is sprouting up (iPHUC?).

What I was thinking about is out-of-iTunes synchronisation programs, especially for the calendar, the contacts, and why not, the installed applications. This can also be done on the air via SSH of course, but it's a bit more awkward because of the power consumption, the sometime quirky connection reliability and so on. On the other hand, it would be more platform-independent (though the USB API could be done that way too).

I'll add more information when I find them. Any thoughts?
  2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Total Commander plug-in for iPod

Since I wanted an alternative to the sFTP connection to transfer files, I wrote a file system plug-in for Total Commander - a tool I've become more and more addicted to

Please Register or Log in to view images

There are other applications using the USB port like iPhoneBrowser and iPhoneList, but they are based on Manzana which is, for all I know, an abandonned project, and they seem pretty dormant too. There are also commercial applications but they don't take advantage of the jailbroken iPods, which also seems to be the case of SharePodLib used in another plug-in.

Anyway, if you want to try it out, here is the current version: http://code.google.com/p/t-pot/downloads/list
    It's probably not the best place for this post, but I'll fix that when I consider the plug-in more finished than now, although it is already fully functional and has been tested for a while.

It will allow you to transfer files from/to the iPod, to visualize their contents or to edit directly files without having to bring them back to the PC first. The transfer rate should be higher than via Wi-Fi too, and the connection steadier. I'm planning on adding binary plist and Apple "CgBI"-tainted, non-compliant PNG image files conversion soon: the test code is done, it just has to be integrated.

The only drawback is that the iTunes API doesn't provide any access to the file attributes, not that I know of at any rate. I'm trying to tackle this issue, if anyone has a clue please let me know.

Any feedback is welcome, I hope it can be useful to anyone regularly transferring files.
    Oh yes, and I can't urge you enough to use Total Commander

Please Register or Log in to view images