PC keeps trying to boot off old unplugged SATA, changed boot priorities,reseated CMOS

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by et94, Aug 13, 2010.

1. et94

et94 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    guys please helps i've done BIOS and CMOS reseat and default settings for BIOS but still nothing, here is the problem taken from my whirlpool post

Hey, my computer was fine until i plugged a 2.5' netbook HDD after it keeps trying to boot from that now, even when it is not plugged in, how can i make it back to normal and boot from my IDE?

well, i just reseated the CMOS and loaded default BIOS settings but it still tries to boot linux which i installed on the laptop SATA.

jeez all this over plugging in another HDD, i'm so pissed off

what do i do now?

it reads my SATA and IDE but even if i do boot priorities it just keeps trying to boot off the unplugged SATA, calling me to insert linux cd, jeez.
  2. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Surely you just need to change the boot order after you turn on your computer before it starts tying to boot off the wrong hard drive?? Anyway ats all i know about bios. XD
  3. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do a BIOS reset and see if that makes a difference.
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    He said he already tried a BIOS reset so another won't help.
    So as far as I can understand you put in another harddrive and now it's trying to boot from that every time.
    Sounds to me like, as you said you had Linux on that hard drive, it probably messed with your MBR!
    If you have either a Windows disk or a Recovery disk for your PC, put it in, and run startup repair. That should repair the boot.
    Need more help, tell me a few more things...
    What is your operating system, what operating system was on the 2nd drive, and what is it telling you when its "trying to boot off unplugged SATA"? Like, if you can, you can even take a picture with a cellphone or just a camera and upload. I need to know what it's saying. THAT IS IF ITS SAYING ANYTHING. Anyways, yeah, post back, goodluck.
  5. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    take the motherboard battery out, unplug the pc, wait 20 minutes (20 to be safe)

and then reset cmos and try again
  6. MrDodi

MrDodi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The "problem" is not that he is trying to boot from the Linux HDD.
    The thing is that Linux has changed your Bootloader or atleast the Boot.ini (if you want to boot to windows) .

So always if youre not saying that you want to choose another Boot Patrition he reads your Boot-Data and it has been overwritten by linux and the first thing he "wants" to do is booting linux.

So you could "simply" format your Sata drive where you want to boot from and reinstall your Windows system and youre fine.

Its not the BIOS because if you wanna try to boot from a "device" thats not plugged in, it simply skipped the one, and if there is no device left, it will give you an error that there is no HDD or Operating System installed (unplug all your HDD and CD drive and youll see what i mean).

So as i said the problem is on your Boot Configuration File.
    PC / Operating System reinstall will fix or problem, or if its win7 you can use the DVD and do a Windows Repair.