PC confusion, iPod or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by steincj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So today, my laptop thought my 2G Touch was an iPhone. This has actually happened to me in the past on my 1G, but today was the first time for the 2G.

I have some apps that I had downloaded but could never install as they were "iPhone only," such as PennyTel, Truphone, and Pizza!. So I synced my 2G and now they are on the device.

Like I said, I knew it works like this because it happened on my 1G (I added Pizza! to my 1G with 2.1, and it is still on there after an update to 2.2).

Well, just as I was undocking, I realized that a forced restore would get me 2.2 with Street View . . . but I was a milisecond too late, I had undocked. I've done everything to try and get the PC to recognize it as an iPhone again, but it still comes up as an iPod.

Does anyone know how to force this confusion on the PC so I can add iPhone only apps and get Street View?
  2. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

Sounds pretty cool. But you want the iPhone firmware for an iPod Touch? Isn't there a new processor or something? And there's gonna be a "Phone" icon on the bottom dock. I would want that. I'll search for it anyway. Tell me if you chanhe your mind.
  3. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is no way to do that. The way would be to jailbreak(which you cant do at the moment) and install a streetview enabler for the 2G
  4. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, I will definitely try. The next time my PC thinks my iPod is an iPhone, I'm going to force a firmware restore and see what it does.

Just by iTunes getting confused that one time, I now have iPhone only apps on my iPod. Who knows what it will really let me do.
  5. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Woa interresting!
    Could be really funny if this bug turns usefull

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

Yes! But what apps are so useful on the phone that you can't get on the touch?
  7. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Street view.

Some of the voip and recorder apps.

Shazam.

And anything else Uncle Steve deems we second class users shouldn't have . . .
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    See the thread about Shazam on the iTouch . . . I bet that's what happened . . . that guy had the app queued up but iTunes would never install it because it was an iPod. But this guy's iTunes got confused, thought it was an iPhone, and it loaded Shazam.
  8. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    We can end this discussion . . . it happened again today, I have a screenshot to prove it. I tried the restore, but it came up with the iPod software, not iPhone. So no Street View.

The only benefit this iTunes confusion gets is loading iPhone only apps. So I now have Shazam and just bought Ocarina. Ocarina rocks, but only works with mic headphones or my Griffin iTalk and external speaker.