Paying for new features (ie: webclips, lyrics) - We should all be concerned...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by ipodtouchuser01, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ipodtouchuser01

ipodtouchuser01 New Member

Personally, I am more concerned that Apple has decided to charge for new features to a current line of iPods. Disregard for a moment the "new" applications. If we only look at web clips, lyrics, and the new home screen icon re-arranging- it seems rather worrisome that Apple is making its customers pay anything.

I do not believe that users of current-generation iPods have ever had to pay for new updates, some of which included new features. To put these features in the "upgrade" bundle is deceitful at best; at worst it is predatory toward early adopters.

We keep discussing the merits of Apple's case to charge based on the fact that applications are included in the "upgrade", but in the process we miss this more pressing and alarming issue. I believe that the debate over paying for new features is where the topic of discussion should continue regarding the 1.1.3 "upgrade", and it should be where we hold the most leverage against Apple.
  2. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There are laws against Apple distributing these applications for free. Granted, they did not HAVE to charge $20 for the applications, they definitely could not give them away for free.

If we disregard the "new" applications, the 1.1.3 update is free (web clips, lyrics, home screen rearranging), so there is no problem there...

Please Register or Log in to view images

::EDIT:: I retract these statements. The Web Clips, Lyrics, and Home Screen Rearranging applications are NOT free.
  3. endorphin

endorphin New Member

I couldn't agree more. It does suck that we have to pay for the apps. But having to pay for the 1.1.3 features. It's absolutely ridiculous and misleading. I have already wrote to apple about how disguted i am with this and i urge all of you to do the same. after all, i have an iPhone and i don't have to pay $20 dollars to get those new features on it.
  4. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

people b*tch and complain on how its unfair because we can jailbreak the ipod touch...but guess what? its against the warranty, aka you shouldnt do that...im glad that apple is doing this...because jailbreaking is a privilege, and people treat it as a necessity...
  5. ipodtouchuser01

ipodtouchuser01 New Member

There is a problem. The features are not free. Please check your free 1.1.3 update for confirmation.
  6. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Listen, you guys are b*tching about nothing. In the old days, if you wanted World Clock you'd need to buy a brand new iPod. If you wanted screen lock, you'd have to buy a nano. What I'm saying is, $20 vs. $399 to get new apps. Take your pick.

Also, rrm (hey!) there are no laws against providing free updates. If so, Microsoft would be sued for SP2, Apple would be sued for the AppleTV update and Sony would be sued for the PSP/PS3 updates.
  7. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

that law crap is bullsh*t. Anyone who believes that is the reason is a f***ing tool.
  8. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    !

Oh. So if you do not pay the $20, the 1.1.3 update does...nothing!
  9. ronspeking

ronspeking New Member

exactly all you get is a different looking dock
  10. endorphin

endorphin New Member

Then why didn't i have to pay $20 dollars to get these features when i upgraded my iPhone?