Password Protect iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by chillaxtian, Jan 29, 2008.

1. chillaxtian

chillaxtian New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey, I was wondering if there is some app out there that allows you to password protect portions of your iPod... I'm not talking about the passcode lock, but something similar that would allow you to protect.. say notes, or videos, or photos. Just curious. Think it would be cool.
  2. inpala

inpala New Member

I have not heard anything like this, it would be cool though.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. yoyorks

yoyorks Member

lol, what kind of videos and photos are you looking at? theres nothing like that yet
  4. chillaxtian

chillaxtian New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nothin bad XD I always have people wanting to look at my iPod though and I don't like them just going through everything I have at will. =D
  5. FallingBalloon

FallingBalloon New Member

Yeah, I feel the same way. I can't stand not knowing what they're looking at. Even if you don't have anything inappropriate, it still feels embarrassing. This is an interesting idea. I'm sure there's a way you could combine the screen lock feature with the applications you wanted to lock, but I don't know how you could go about doing it. It'd probably involve adding specific strings from settings or the "lock" plist (provided it exists...) to the application plists, thus enabling the lock feature on those apps...

If anyone here knows some basic coding, and could isolate those strings, I would probably be willing to test it out...
  6. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    There could be an app that when you enter a code into it, it renames the video/photo/music folders to something else, therefore the ipod would find nothing. Then you could switch it back. It is like hidemedia (I think thats what it is called) for psp
  7. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    you are an awful person.
  8. iSecks

iSecks New Member

What would be awesome would be a categories type thing, but have a password feature so you have say a "Private" folder with your other apps and such, and when you try to get in it asks for a password [which you can set] and if you get it wrong 3 times it resprings or something, if you get it right it works just like normal categorys.

A stack like that would be awesome, so we can have a stack on the dock called private that is basically the same thing. =O
  9. FallingBalloon

FallingBalloon New Member

Pyromaniaque, you could just put on a regular screen lock to prevent snooping. That's exactly what I did.

The Topic Creator was suggesting passwords for individual applications, so that when they were letting their friends fiddle with it, they couldn't just look at everything on the iPod.

iSecks: That could probably be done in the way I suggested, by altering an application to include a screen lock at the beginning. Since the categories made by the Categories Application are considered programs, it could be done.
  10. chillaxtian

chillaxtian New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Excellent Idea ! =D

Now if we had someone that knew how to code these things....