Review Pandora Radio

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Germany, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Germany

Germany Banned

Please Register or Log in to view images

Pandora Radio
    Click for direct iTunes link.

Price: Free
    Availability: U.S. only

What is Pandora Radio?

Pandora Radio is a mobile based application of the Pandora Internet Radio service provided on the web. Pandora uses the "Music Genome Project" which picks related songs based on different musical attributes in each song. Setting up a Pandora Radio account requires an e-mail address and is very quick. There is no cost for setting up your account which is a great benefit.

Features

Whether you are a longtime Pandora geek, or a new, intrigued user, Pandora Radio is sure to be a highly useful application. Whether it is finding new songs and artists, or recollecting old favorites, you may be tucked away for hours enjoying free, high quality music on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Pandora Radio offers nearly all of the great features that the web version offers.

Some of the main features include:

• Adding new stations by Artist, Song, or Genre
    • Sorting stations by date or alphabetical order
    • Bookmarking songs or artists
    • Enabling high quality audio
    • Viewing song and artist information
    • Viewing album artwork
    • Track skipping (play new song)
    • Download from iTunes button
    • E-mail to a friend

Note: Track skipping is limited to six skips per hour.

User Interface

Pandora Radio boasts a simple, and easy to navigate interface. The bottom bar contains Stations, New Station, Bookmarks, and Settings. In each of the tabs you can view the lists and searches in different categories including Date, Alphabetical Order, Songs, Artists, and Genres. In Settings you can easily turn Higher quality audio and Auto-Lock on and off.

While listening to music, you can rate each song (thumbs up or thumbs down), pause the song, or skip to the next song. Pandora Radio has a Mobile iTunes feel to it. The buttons, bars, and pages are all similar to the iTunes application.

Audio

Audio is obviously a major part of Pandora Radio. Although the quality of the music is quite nice, it isn't the best out there. The "Higher quality audio" enabling feature seems to make a small difference, but it all comes down to your earphones/headphones. Listening on the normal Apple earphones is average, while listening on a $300 pair of Beats by Dr. Dre is simply amazing, as it should be. There is only so much one can write about audio. Test it out for yourself, and determine how it stacks up against other audio and radio applications.

Reuse Value

Although Pandora Radio is a free application, there is still a high level of reuse value. There are some applications that you will download, use once, and leave to die on the sixth page of your springboard. Pandora Radio is not one of them. After using Pandora Radio for a small amount of time, you are likely to be hooked to it. Finding songs and artists that you enjoy can prove to be very time consuming, but at the same time it can be quite pleasant. There is a very low chance that you will delete Pandora Radio anytime soon after first downloading it. The reuse value is definitely higher than most other applications.

My Ratings

Features: 8/10 - I would like to see a larger number of skips per hour.
    User Interface: 6/10 - It is simple but too much like iTunes. Not original.
    Audio: 9/10 - Quality is not the best, but it really comes down to your earphones/headphones.
    Reuse Value: 10/10 - I use this application daily to find new music and enjoy some of my favorites.

Overall

8.3/10 - Great! Pandora Radio is a top notch radio application with many useful features. The visuals need some work, and I would like to see the track skipping limit increased, but the sheer amount of audio provided overcomes the deficits. The audio quality depends on the earphones/headphones, but it has been very well for me. This application certainly does not feel like a mobile version at all. Definitely consider adding this free application to your collection.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey TouchPwn,

Since I already have this application, I'm fairly familiar with it and just skimmed over the review. It looks really well layed out and I like the use of the graphic stars for the ratings. I like how you went ahead and put ratings up for different sections... shows all aspects of what the application is useful or in some cases, not so useful. You included the price, availability and many other details - awesome!

Have you created any other reviews? I'd recommend you post more, they're great

3. Germany

Germany Banned

Thank you Kiks. Yes, I have written a handful of reviews on other sites, but I just saw that the review section here was starting to be used a lot more. That prompted me to start writing reviews here. I try my best to deliver the information people need and I hope it does.

Look for more reviews. I really love writing them, and I try to be as unbiased as possible to give other users a true review on the applications. If you ever have a review request, just ask. I am more than happy to accommodate to your requests.
  4. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Great review.

It looks better if you centered all the images!

5. Germany

Germany Banned

I agree. Centered them.