Palm Conversion for iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jamesmor, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Jamesmor

Jamesmor New Member

Hi Folks,

I purchased a 16 GB ipod touch yesterday (2nd Generation). So far, so good. I still am getting used to the interface, but I like it. I think I will only get to like it more and more. However, there are a few things I am trying to figure out.

(1) Is there a way to convert my palm desktop to the ipod? Specifically, I have hundreds of contacts in my Palm, and it would be great if I could find a conversion tool that would allow me to not do a manual entry.

(2) Does apple have an equivalent of the Palm Desktop? All of the applications of the Palm could be mirrored on the desktop...I could enter my appointments and synch them on-line, including all of my contacts, etc. I did not see such a function with itunes that I purchased.

(3) Is there a search function for the calendar and contacts? It would seem to me that this is a fairly basic feature, but I cannot find it on the iPod. LOL, I know it MUST be there....

Thanks!
    James
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    1. Depends, can you sync contacts to a computer?

2. What?

3. Yes and No, Yes on Contacts, but not on Calendar events... but they are ordered by date and month.
  3. Jamesmor

Jamesmor New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Let me clarify a couple of things. Essentially, I am trying to make my switch to Apple as smooth as possible. However, I am trying to figure if there is some way to copy the basic functions from my palm directly to the itouch. If there is a conversion ap out there, I would be grateful if someone would point me the right direction.

As to my question about if there is an equivalent itouch software out there...essentially, I use the ipod as more of a pda (that holds music) as opposed to a music device that also has pda functions. If I can find some sort of 'master software' that would allow me to enter all my data on the desktop and synch it to the itouch, that would be spectacular.

Last, yes....I just saw that I can search the contacts. It is disappointing to me that you cannot search the calendar. It boggles my mind even that this is not a feature on the itouch as I would think it is fairly basic. Perhaps an ap will come out that allows one to do this....

James
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    They make Palm Desktop for mac now but I would use Contacts and iCal
  5. Mchief298

Mchief298 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, you can transfer your contacts, just depends on the software.

... I do, however, a question. Why don't you just stick with your palm for the contacts and events, and use your ipod for media? or do you not have room for both.
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Contacts, Calendars, and other information can be synced from Palm into Microsoft's Outlook. Then that information can be synced onto your iPod Touch via iTunes. Contacts can also be synced via Google's online Contact application.
  7. Jamesmor

Jamesmor New Member

Thanks all. As to the question as to why not keep both...well, the palm is dieing. It really is. The battery is weak, the scribble pad is...well..scribbled. It has been well used. It is an awesome tool, but Palm has recently announced that support for the pda will be limited as they focus on phones. I don't want to have multiple tools for my work. I want one device. I think the itouch is the way to go...it just feels like there are a few items that I need to make it perfect.

James
  8. Mchief298

Mchief298 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    kk I see what you mean, and yea there needs to be some more things with it
  9. Jamesmor

Jamesmor New Member

Would someone please give me the name of the ipod touch software that is similar to the Palm Desktop? My office has blocked itunes, which means I cannot synch the itouch unless I am at home (it has to do with the bandwidth taken up by the 'always on' connection).

Thanks
    James

PS Love the ipod already...though my dock in my subaru malfunctioned today....not sure what that is all about.
  10. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    there is no software like palm desktop. you need different apps for everythign.

as Tes said, you can sync your plam stuff to Outlook then sync outlook with Ipod through iTunes.

if you JB the ipod theres a number of apps available to do what you want.
    theres a search app that search through mail, notes, calendar etc.
    you can sync your calendar with google calendar (if you dont want to use outlook). they dont need iTunes, as long as youve got wifi you can sync. so you could update stuff in gCal and sync to the ipod or vice versa.

once youve put stuff on there from i Tunes (at home) you really dont need it for anything other than syncing music and apps (which im sure you can wait until you get home to do)

etc
    etc

Edit: just realised you said it was a 2G! if you want to JB youll have to get in line and wait with everyone else!