Pairing with phone

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by jutm543, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jutm543

jutm543 New Member

Okay, to begin, this is my first post and I've tried to look around everywhere, here and on the internet at large, for the answer, but I can't really decipher it.

My problem: I am tethered at the hip to US Cellular for another 9 months before my contract expires and I can get an iPhone. Personally, I'm pretty fine with that, as the updates I've heard are coming seem worth the wait, especially as I'll be going off to college and into an area with 3G coverage. I currently have a Motorola RAZR v3c (IE, not a Windows Mobile smartphone). Anyway, at school now there is absolutely NO wi-fi coverage, I don't think their "technology experts" have even heard of the concept.

My question: Is there any type of third party "dongle" (is that the right word?) that acts as a Bluetooth receiver (I have removed all hope of the touch actually having it) that you can simply plug into the dock connector, connect my phone to it, and then use my cellular data network to surf the internet on the iPod (ala poor man's EVDO)?

Outlying questions: Do all the current Bluetooth plugins simply transmit/receive audio? Does Bluetooth even have the capacity to transmit the amount/type of data used in internet connections? (I'm frankly pretty dumb in the Bluetooth department) I have a feeling I would have to have a Windows Mobile 6 phone, in which case I'll simply have to wait 9 months.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for any responses and for going easy on a new member.
  2. jutm543

jutm543 New Member

Sorry for the double post, but I did some talking with my dad:

Say I buy a USB Bluetooth adapter (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-USBBT...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199938908&sr=8-1), could I somehow plug that into the end of the touch's USB cable (with an adapter, of course), and then proceed to connect to my phone? Would I have to get someone to write an application to allow me to edit bluetooth settings somehow on the touch? It seems like an intriguing and easy idea, but unfortunately I've found that the ideas that sound so easy and obvious usually have some way of not working.

Thanks again!
  3. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch