P&S Camera With Adapter Tube...

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by solidness, Feb 28, 2010.

1. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys, I recently bought one of these-

Please Register or Log in to view images

Which also shipped with a lens cap and hood.
    It screws onto my Kodak z8612 so I can apply 58mm attachments.
    The main attachments its designed for are filters, such as CPL and Polarizing.

But my question is if it would work with close up lenses, specifically +1 +2 +4 and +10 (macro) lenses. Since P&S cameras don't have manual focusing, I'm not entirely sure...

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Macro filters tend to be difficult to work with, even on a DSLR. You can get away with focusing by changing your distance from a subject, but honestly, macro photography is essentially a joke without a real macro lens on a DSLR. It can get pretty expensive, but I'd recommend a Canon EF 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens on a Canon EOS Rebel XSi body if you really want to do it.

You can try using a cheap macro filter on a cheap point-and-shoot camera, but it'll be extremely difficult to get good results. I have a set of macro filters for my T1i, and they're a pain to use. The images are always soft, and I've all but stopped using them.

Before you order a macro filter, make sure your point-and-shoot doesn't have a digital macro mode. The way that point-and-shoot lenses are manufactured allows for an extremely close focusing distance, and some cameras have a mode that can take advantage of that.
  3. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I found a deal for a cheap +10 filter at $3.99 since posting this. It's a bit hard to work with but some of the results aren't bad. My camera does have a macro mode, but the focusing distance is pretty far. Which is why I bought the lens.

Taken with the lens today-

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Focus seems a bit off.
  5. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is, I'm still getting used to it
  6. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think you'll probably have a hard time getting the focus just right, because you'll find that there's no perfectly sharp area anymore, due to the fact that macro filters seriously soften the image. And for the record, you're using a macro filter, not a macro lens.