Owning a 2nd notebook (this time a MBP), what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by bluestar, Sep 4, 2010.

1. bluestar

bluestar Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I have an HP dv3t (13" model) notebook running Windows 7. For about a year it ran great until I started noticing overheating issues to the point where it would power off instantly.

After a month of dodging phone calls to HP's tech and warranty departments, I am getting my warranty updated so it can be serviced. (I was given an insert saying I have a 2 year warranty when the database HP had said only 1).

So I want to try something new. After this machine gets fixed I will deal with it at least till next summer when my warranty does expire. I was thinking of forking out some extra cash from working this summer on a MBP along with next year's iPod rebate program so at the same time it would be an upgrade from my 2G Touch to a 4G. Do you think this is a good idea?
  2. Astro27Phys

Astro27Phys New Member

It's a great idea if you're willing to wait that long. One thing I highly doubt is a free ipod 4g with mac next year. I'm pretty sure this ipod touch will be there last. Not completely sure but there's not much more upgrades they can make. Plus they only do free ipod when they're coming out with new ones in september.But they might still give discount on the macbooks.
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    If you can afford it, I say go for it. It's always good to have both OSes on hand for whatever reason. The next time the student discounts will be offered (and most likely with the iPod 4G, before the 5G is released) is in about one calendar year. This will give you lots of time to save up for it too!

Please Register or Log in to view images

But what I'd do right now is fork out 30 bucks for a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (Microsoft is offering students it for 30; been doing it every year now, but they could stop any time they want). That way, when you get your MacBook Pro, you'll be able to boot it into Windows 7 too

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is just a suggestion though.
  4. bluestar

bluestar Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah! I actually bought Windows 7 for $30 through my school last year and it's installed on this HP notebook. I love it! The key should transfer over to the MBP if I were to mutually swap them.