Overheating while charging issue?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dlstc, Nov 13, 2008.

1. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I read in an iPhone/iPod magazine that it is recommended to remove any case before charging to prevent overheating and shorter battery life.

Does anyone do this?

I use the Rebeltouch and having to remove it once or twice a day for charging would mean I would have to use a different case. (I charge often because wifi and bluetooth headphone usage eats up power).

I haven't noticed it get warm from charging, but from use.

If I do use a different case, what would you suggest for serious protection, yet easy to slip off for charging? I've dropped my Touch twice, and had it slide off an airplane tray. The Rebeltouch protected it 100%. The Speck SeeThru (hard but slide off back), Belkin Wave, etc?

Thanks,
    Diana
  2. pavan

pavan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well u dont need to remove your case when charging. just remember to leave it alone.
    as for the case if u want i reccomed getting this

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

They have it for the iphone 3g (i think) if u have the 3g instead
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi Diana,

You shouldn't have a problem with your iPod touch overheating because of the RebelTouch, but I will give you a few recommendations anyways. Firstly, I have a Speck SeeThru case and it easily slides off. But it can be a pain to get back on, so be careful.

I would recommending taking a look at Griffin's iClear case. It's a two piece case that snaps together, and was voted over at iLounge as best of the year for 2008.
  4. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you both for taking the time to write such thoughtful and informative replies!

I considered the iClear but was concerned with dust and dirt getting trapped behind it and showing up. The Wave was not out yet when I chose a case.

They both have their advantages. The protection of the iClear is well documented, but I like having the easy dock access of the Wave. I had to "modify" my Rebeltouch to be able to plug in my bluetooth dongle, and now the bottom is a bit loose.

Do you think the Speck SeeThru would be comparable to the iClear and Wave? I like it because it is hard plastic like the iClear, but colored, with side grips, and because while the back slides off for docking, it doubles as a stand. Is Speck's quality near that of Griffin?

Thanks again!
    Diana
  5. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    According to Apple this happens when your iPod/iPhone gets too hot:

"You cannot use iPhone will the temperture warning screen is displayed except to make an emergency call. If none of the above measure suceeds in lowering the internal temperature, iPhone automatically goes into a deep sleep mode until it cools. You cannot make an emergency call when iPhone is in this mode. Move iPhone to a cooler location and wait a few miniutes before trying to use iPhone again"
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Speck doesn't have bad quality products, but the Speck SeeThru case I have for the 1st-gen iPod touch can be a pain to slide back together after you open the case.
  7. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks again! I'll get the iClear.

Diana