Overclocking the iphone yet?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jigglywiggly, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jigglywiggly

jigglywiggly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    (This should also apply to the ipod touch 1g)
    Since we already know the battery dies in 2 hours anyway, is shortening that time further going to kill us? Nah....
    Basically, how come nobody has released a custom firmware with the cpu frequency set as that of the ipod touch 2g? I really think the communications chips can handle the boost in frequency, and seriously doubt bricking the phone is possible from 100mhz or so, same cpu. It might get a little hotter, but how would we know the effects of it, if nobody has tried it? I mean I'm not saying go to 600 mhz right away, just that of the ipod touch 2g's I think it's like 516 mhz or something.

Games run too slow, like assassins creed has a choppy framerate at times. You probably could get a noticeable boost, and in emulators as well. I doubt it would have any other harmful effects, just lower the screen brightness that is where a lot of the power draining and heat comes from anyway. Basically all I'm saying is, there should be more interest in this, a lot of things run too slow. (Zod's emulators, a lot of games) etc.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The chips are actually factory underclocked down from actual peak cycles... presumably for battery life and heat issues... not seen an overclocker yet tho...
  3. ultimatemonkey2

ultimatemonkey2 New Member

It would be great. I cant wait. maybe after 3.0 jailbreak....
  4. jigglywiggly

jigglywiggly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yeah I knew about the chips are actually under clocked, most likely cause of the heat and battery life like you said. But seriously, I want to raise the speed, this thing can be really slow D: (Like on the emulators, I am not expecting a miracle, but a 20% increase in mhz should be noticeable)