Overclocking - Definitely Possible

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ferr, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I tried to reply to an older thread, but they're all posted too long ago. Yes, I know there are other threads on it, but I just want to add something. Maybe it's useless info that's already been said. *shrug*

I believe this runs on the same 624MHz ARM (Advanced RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) Machine) that is found on things like the ipaq HX 4700 and the Dell Axim x30/x50/x50v/x51. It's very much underclocked and is easily capable of the full 624mhz without worries of overheating. It would get warm, but that's about it. Processors like this are designed to run in conditions where active cooling is hard to come by, even passive cooling.

Battery life I'm sure would be an issue, though, which is probably why it was underclocked in the first place.
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is possible, but I wouldn't personally try it out.
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

How would overclocking actually be done? Would it be through a jailbroken app?

If that's the case, couldn't you also underclock it much further as well to save battery life? I know with most computers it's just a few power settings that need changed. Couldn't it technically be the same type of thing on a Touch? Perhaps through some sort of BossPrefs add-on?
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thread is dead and 2 months old. Why bump it? No one cares about OCing the iPod Touch/iPhone. Its not a Desktop.
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
  6. vigilantez

vigilantez New Member

2g is faster then 1g?
  7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

well, now that its revived(the thread)
    it is possible since the iphone started out at 400Mhz, but at 1.1.X, apple made it 412MHz
    the 2G is somewhere near 532MHz
    it is supposed to cost .45 mW/MHz meaning it will cost 54 mW to make as fast as 2G i think
    so your battery life will become terrible... so you will need get a replacement battery or battery pakc if you overclock
  8. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

i hope they overclock it
    i want to see what it can do
    but battery will be horrilbe