Overclock/Underclock App

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Collateral, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Could some make a modification to the prefrences app that changes the clock speed of the ipod/iphone. And remembers that speed even after a reboot or respring?
  2. Chuckbourdeau

Chuckbourdeau New Member

Why would you do this?
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Faster processor = faster device.
    Slower processor = longer battery life.

That's why.
  4. prodigee

prodigee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OC'ing an iPod seems like really dumb thing to do. (No offense) because there is so much room for something to go horribly wrong. Also its not really like the iPod has a real BIOS so to speak so making an app to do so would be really difficult. Its not like ASUS's CPU Level Up app for ASUS motherboards. Also getting rid of all the heat generated by the OC of the processor would be really hard considering no one wants a "giant" heatsink in their pocket.

An underclock could be some what useful, but then again really the iPod barely cuts be reasonable to run because sometimes just loading the music app can take a while (although that is more disk accessingt than anything). All in all though the start up of some of the apps can take a while.

There is a reason that Apple does not have this app and there is a reason that they made the processor the speed they did.

Although its a cool idea at first in the long run it really doesnt make much sense both in terms of fucntionality and practicallity becuase the battery just wouldnt be able to take it and would be even shorter than it already is and even now its still not that great.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah you could horribly crash your ipod

also hotter or cooler
  6. Sigma2008

Sigma2008 New Member

Overclocking iPhone

There is absolutely no reason why someone who owns an iphone could NOT safely overclock it to run at least at ipod touch 2g speeds. Does the ipod touch overheat? no. The only risk you'd take by doing this is causing your battery life to suffer, thats about it. The cpu was intended to run at 620mhz by the manufacturer and it runs in similar devices with the similarly sized chassis real estate and they don't have any overheating issues. I don't see why clocking your iphone to run at no more than ipod touch 2g speed would hurt anything. In fact, I would like to do this myself. I first had an ipod touch 2g and I liked it alot, but when I began using my new iphone, I didn't ghat zippy liquid smooth menu, scrolling, app loading like I did on the touch and I'm somewhat disappointed. As far as battery life, by default the iphone 3g has higher battery capacity than the ipod touch by virtue of the fact that it has a cell phone function to perform, regardless of it's cpu speed. Therefore you shouldn't really notice MUCH of a drop in battery life if you were to run your iphone at 533mhz. Hope someone makes us an overclock utility for our jailbroken phones. peace.
  7. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Paragraphs, use them.

No one will read that comment purely because of the formatting and layout. If you want your views to be taken into account on this forum format your post properly. Otherwise it will just be ignored. Just a tip

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Bullitt_S13

Bullitt_S13 New Member

i read it....how are you able to predict whether someone will read a particular comment? Is that a skill I can learn, because that would be great.
  9. ALECMM61

ALECMM61 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I agree, they should make an overclocking/underclocking app
  10. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    hey guys they dont evan have a overclocking command to put into the terminal or evan a modded .ipsw to do this with... look if anyone wants or knows how to do this manually that would be great but all the post i read all end up with diffrent subjects or they say its too dangerous... what its not like theres a nuk inside a ipod. dos anyone know somthing i don't. iv been searching non-stop for 2 or 3 hours now.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    btw this would also be a nice app to have

Please Register or Log in to view images