over 1000 of my songs are gone. WHY!?!?!

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by GTanything, Jan 8, 2008.

1. GTanything

GTanything New Member

A little while ago i looked through my touch and noticed i only have 62 songs on it yesterday i had about 1200. I havent added, deleted, nor done anything with my itunes in about a two weeks. I went to my music and checked for the itunes .xml library file thing and there are two there one has damaged in pararenthesis attached to it. Also the day it happened one of my friends connected his ipod to my pc, could that have something to do with it ?can somebody please tell me what the F*** happened!!??
  2. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

Are your songs in /My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ ?
  3. GTanything

GTanything New Member

no, all of my songs are saved on my external.
  4. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Try checking to see if your external drive switched letters. This is probably what happened. When your friend connected his iPod to your computer the other day, Windows rearranged the drive letters which for some reason it likes to do.

Solutions: 2
    Solution 1) Close iTunes. Go find your Library.xml file (usually located in your iTunes folder, if not, in your My Music folder). Open it up using notepad. Using the replace command (under edit), search for the original drive letter. Make sure that you include the drive letter, colon, and backslash. So you should be searching for something like this.

D:\

In the replace line, type in the new drive letter. So something like this:

E:\

Hit "Replace All". This will, as it says, replace all the old drive letters over to your new external drive letters, which will place everything that iTunes couldn't find back into your library. Save the file and close.

Solution 2) Delete all of the files from your iTunes library that iTunes couldn't find, and then drag and drop your iTunes folder back into iTunes so that it'll know the location of the files again.

When your library file gets damaged, I think that means that iTunes was shut down before it could save the file (i.e., terminated in Task Manager).

Try this, let me know if it fixes it.
  5. GTanything

GTanything New Member

I know that when u save a song to itunes it doesnt save the song it saves the path to the song. What im sayin is the path is gone. There are no exclamtion points in front of the song title because the song titles are gone. Its like someone came and deleted my songs (paths) from itunes. You know how at the bottom of iTunes it says # songs # hrs # bytes? Mine now has 62 songs ? hrs 144 MB. I nor has windows changed anything on my external. Im about to give up and just start adding everything back on. Thanks to all for your efforts, I hate iTunes
  6. mjhamilton

mjhamilton New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sounds like he has reset the sync on your itunes app..

I would just start again.... delete all the remaing songs from itunes... resync... reimport you folder with all the songs in and then sync again... as you only have 60 songs on the ipod time is not the issue..