Outgoing links addition is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Slacker, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Slacker

Slacker New Member

I'm sorry but this is utterly ridiculous. This forum is turning into a dictatorship, ban me if you like but it's the truth.

Explain to me this, why can't I go to an iPhone/Touch forum or blog linked on this forum? Why can't I visit someone's 'irrelevant' personal site? I understand the need for checking outgoing links to ensure that no-one is linking directly to ROMs or such, but really why are you blocking other forums and blogs? Scared of a bit of competition so you're just going to try to pull the wool over people's eyes? That's no way to treat the users of this forum, the users which made this forum what it is. Unbelievable...
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can do all of those if you get the link approved, which is the entire goal of the system.
  3. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Can't you just click on the link at the bottom of the page..?

Let me test.. Don't ban plz LOL.

EDIT: Yeah I typed in a Rom Site and it said "Blah Blah Blah Hasnt Been tested" but then you can click the link at the bottom and it redirects you.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

So is your face.

: P
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

iLolled.
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Our site rules have always required permission for posting of outgoing links. There has been a lot of abuse of this, both by people posting links to referral scams and such things, as well as by people posting links to crappy blogs and forums plastered with ads but no content. It's too much work for us to proactively monitor every single post.

Anyways, links that haven't been reviewed are already accessible, but you are not automatically redirected. You just need to make another click. Links that have been approved are automatically redirected, and banned links are not accessible.

By the way, this site is owned by ME and I am the one that is liable for it, so I am free to do whatever I want on it, in the same way that you are free to leave if you consider the policies unbearable. I do, however, think that this is really not something worth getting riled up over.
  7. Slacker

Slacker New Member

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear. I'm referring more to this thread which details which links will never be allowed and I'm simply wondering why other iPod/iPhone forums/blogs aren't allowed to be linked to?

I don't mind the fact that for un-reviewed sites you have to click the link at the bottom, doesn't bother me at all and I totally understand it.

Bgizzle: I know the site is owned and run by you, and I along with everyone else is very grateful for that. I agree, it's not something to get riled up about I was just simply wondering why certain links aren't allowed.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The reason is because then there are a million posts

"Come to my Blog"
    "My Awesome new Blog"
    "Blogs, Blogs, Blogs!"

You get the idea. It's to keep people from using this site to advertise for themselves.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Also, the vast majority of forums do not allow links to other forums. The fact that there are a few exceptions here (macrumors, etc) is a privilege that many other forums would infract a person for.
  10. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The trend that I was seeing was each person forming their own forum. If we allow the community to go in that direction, we'll have to remember hundreds of logins and passwords, and at that rate, there won't be any information in centralized locations. My passion is to organize and make accessible all relevant information, and I will use my position to push the community in that direction if I can.

Secondly, I have usually given permission to polite requests to allow links to iPod touch related sites if I considered the content on the sites original and high-quality. There are literally hundreds of sites that have been approved.