Out side the box

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TheSkorm, Sep 18, 2007.

1. TheSkorm

TheSkorm New Member

I havn't received my ipod touch yet, so I havn't had the chance to try and hack at it, although one suggestion for hackers out their, instead of trying to break it through itunes, try and break it through safari on the ipod. Just an idea. Also for although calling it an itouch, I'm going to kill you, one by one.
  2. TheSkorm

TheSkorm New Member

Remember that safari comes with dodgy javascript/java afaik and possibly flash. You could use that to access the devices hard drive / os x and enable ssh or what not.
  3. admkenshin

admkenshin New Member

Well, for one, javaScript execution on Safari is limited to 5 seconds. Can you run an exploit in that time? There is no JAVA or flash.

Second, Safari probably doesn't have access to the file system (or write access anyway). We could try to crash safari (or the movie viewer plugin), and gain kernel access through an overflow as on the PSP, but since it's OS X, there's already root access built in, we just need to find the right password ^_^.
  4. TheSkorm

TheSkorm New Member

Not really the password, look at ubuntu for example, root is virtually disabled. Also 5 seconds is engought time to dump import information and to edit files.
  5. RadicalxEdward

RadicalxEdward New Member

Actually, both apple support and apple retail are calling it the "iTouch" as well.
  6. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yah its true you could do a lot in 5 seconds, and yes apple is calling it now the iTouch, lol.
  7. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

i know, the Apple people themselves are calling this damn thing the iTouch, which sound totally f***in stupid. should we call the nano the iNano, or the classic the iClassic? where is it gonna end!!?!?!?

as for exploits, typing file:// into the browser brings up the error "can't access local folders" or some such nonsense. im sure that many of you already knew that, but im just sayin.

if someone is willing, uninstall iTunes and all its services, or use a computer that never had iTunes on it in the first place and then do a total wipe of the iPoT

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content And Settings

if you get what i got, you will see that the computer recognizes it as a digital camera and has access to something that resembles the iPoTs internal flash drive...

give it a whirl
  8. stuff2music

stuff2music Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well I'm not sure it you have a apple computer but some of the easest way to get the computer to reconize the itouch, (and yes apple does call it that) as a camera is to try to use it on a mac running an operating system older then tiger. Or you can use an old windows computer i have not tried this one but i bet windows 95 or 98 might work
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

iAgree, iHate iTouch for the name.
  10. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow you guys bumped an old topic. This was almost 2 months old.