Our Community. Suggestions. Improvements.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Chicken, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    We need to change. iPTF is dying and we need some changes to get it back to how it used to be.

First the community section, groups are pretty much dead and there are only 8. I'm going to suggest we allow members to create groups themselves, I know it was tried before and it was greatly abused, so why not try it for a short period see how everyone reacts to it and if it gets abused we close it and issue warnings and infractions. I know it's not the best solution but if we want groups to succeed it's the only way I can see that it will be able to work.

Secondly more community events, the Friday lounge thread was amazing where we could always just relax and post anything (within reason) without fear of warnings or infractions. It was nice to just chat about anything and be random.

Whatever happened to the theme roundups and this week in the App Store, I think they were great additions to the front page, the front page as it has been said before needs more content more often, so I think we should get more FP reporters, SumDaii is doing a great job with App Store games maybe some other members for different sections of the iDevice scene that they maybe specialize in or have a great deal of interest. It means we can have more and better articles. Obviously we would have to make sure that there is some standard towards these articles.

Now just a small bit on iPad IMO, Bgizzle said it was meant to be like a separate site, I don't mind whether it is to be a separate site or bundled in with iPTF but there needs to be a clear distinction whether it is part of iPTF or not, yes we can still have the links at the top but if they are to be separate sites but do not bundle iPad IMO new posts in with iPTF new posts. Also I think iPad IMO needs a front page much like iPTF so we can have iPod Touch/iPhone announcements on iPTF and iPad ones on iPad IMO, I do recognize that this could cause problems if a news story relates to both devices so this will have to be thought out and planned very carefully.

Contests, they're a great way to get more members and for current members to have an incentive to stay around and contribute to the community, we can get companies to sponsor the events, they get the publicity of their name with a forum of over half a million users and we get free products to give away. It can work for both of iPTF and companies. I'd say a nice frequency of these would be every 1 - 2 months.

More moderators, not to say the current moderators aren't doing a great job, but there is sometimes only 1 - 2 on at a time and they can't always cope with the amount of threads popping up. Instead of having a ton of Super Moderators I suggest more individual section moderators so that it will lessen the work on all super moderators, and perhaps after a certain time they will become super moderators if they have shown to be very good and competent with their job.

Also a revision of the infraction system, to be honest it may just be me but it seems extremely complicated (ok not extremely), all these points that lead to different lengths of warnings/infractions just confuse me, I suggest that it should be simplified. I may come up with a basic outline later if any staff want me to.

Member amnesty, we have lost quite a few of our well known members that made this a great place because they were mucking about, I think we should allow some back, put some system where staff are allowed to vote whether they should be allowed back or not, this amnesty would be temporary while we try to get the community back together. I'm not sure how this system would work out in reality, and it's just a suggestion I'm sure you have some perfect reasons as to why this shouldn't be done, it's just an option and suggestion that may help the community.

Start the member reviewers group back up again, I used to look forward to reading the member reviewers reviews as you knew they would be good quality and non-biased, they slowly broke down and stopped writing, I recommend we ask people to apply as they did last time by writing reviews. A nice addition would also be a tutorials group, we've got this great tutorials link now in the nav bar and we could really do with a group of people who can make good tutorials and rewrite quite a few that are now out of date.

And that's it for now, I had to get it out and make these suggestion, hope they help the staff and Bgizzle with some ideas, hopefully together we can get the community to how it used to be.

If I think of anymore ideas I'll add them onto this post. Please post your opinions on anything I've said and ask me any questions about my ideas.
  2. xFKSxSquirrel

xFKSxSquirrel Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    maybe make a rep system
  3. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It was tried before and didn't work out well. Who's to say it won't work this time. But as it's already been tried before I doubt it's a viable option.
  4. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    When the old members were banned they were banned for a good reason, they broke the rules. I'm just saying we could become more of a community if we brought them back. Hopefully they will have learnt their lesson and we can start again.
  5. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I think that might have been Akiyama.

I made several legitimate suggestions in the cesspit that is the 'Reform' thread. I'll try to dig them up and post here too.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    All good and salient points Chicken. I have a few comments to add as soon as I'm unbanned.

.. and yes it was Akiyama Mio... his proıblem is that the line is drawn and he can't help but step over it. He's had tonnes of chances to be here and blown it every time.
  7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok…
    Anyways, here were my (mostly ignored) suggerstions, directly C&P.

_______________________________​

• I suggested some sort of reform to breath life into iPtF. The best that came out of it was like 5 new social groups. It was meant to be a massive overhaul…
    • I think we just need some sort of fresh change. Maybe more pseudo-staff levels, (FP reporter, MR team etc.) not sure what they'de be, but it could help close the staff-member gap.
    • I've given my view on what should be changed, I really think we need an entirely new community section, and more pseudo-staff members. Maybe even a change of staff, 'election' kinda thing, if the current don't sort this out*.
    • Give out more 'staff' positions, like coordinators for sub-forums, more FP reporters. Add variety to the site, maybe more themes or something?
    • iPtF needs a new régime.

Reform thread post:
    I've only recently used the "Community" tab, and put simply, I was a bit disappointed. There are 3 options, Rules, Social Groups, and Friends.

This is mainly about the comcept Social Groups. I clicked in, to find that there are only two categories, Gaming Clans and Hobbies. With a total of five groups.
    With over 430,000 members, might the Community tab be more open/put to better use? One thing that stuck me was the inability to create a new group, having to request a new one. I know, there are moderation issues to keep in minds, but If it's a Community tab, surely it should be community-driven?

But really, I'd love to see a revamped community section, more open groups, possibly an Instrucatbles-style quick question box, maybe even some sort of userpage system; stylable, a quick bio, groups the member is in etc. Adding a more personal touch than statistics & VMs.

This would all be an addition though, not much existing on the site would have to change. Anyone else like this idea?
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    lol Chicken, JKK said a lot of that stuff too. I guess great minds think alike.
  9. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Posted in spoony's reform thread:

10. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I think I am a participating member.

And also I think that the registration should be closed.