Otterbox Defender

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mahger, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mahger

mahger New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Does anyone have the Otterbox Defender case? It looks really good, but I can think of alot of problems it could have. If someone does have it, could they post a review and some pictures or something?
    Thanks
  2. lefty8

lefty8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I will upload some pics and my opinion this weekend.
  3. mahger

mahger New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    that would be great, thanks
  4. kudabee

kudabee New Member

I ordered one 3 days ago for both the iPhone and my iPod will let you know when they arrive
  5. dagored

dagored Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just got the Defender in for the Touch. What do you want to know? I am not very good at reviewing items, but I will give it a try.

The case is well made and fits perfectly around the Touch. It snaps together with clips on the side and top and bottom. On top of that you pull over, for lack of a better description, the outer silicon skin. It fits over the entire unit except for the screen. There are holders, for lack of a better term, on the sides and top that grip the silicon skin and keep it from moving.

The membrane over the screen is just a hair above it. So, you must tap the screen and it works just fine. I do not have any problems using it. Now, if you were trying to draw, I could foresee a problem.

Is your Touch protected? You bet. I used an iClear before this and although I like it, it was slippery at times and I tended to really grip the Touch. When handing it to someone I was a bit leery. You are not going to lose your grip with this covering. I have never seen anything like it. It grips, but can be wiped off, no lint, etc sticking to it. I'm impressed.

Is it worth $29? I think so. Will everyone like it, I don't think so, but I payed $400 for this and I use it all the time since it has been jailbroken and I tend to drop things at one time or another. Right now it is staying on the Touch. I might change my mind later, but right now I do not see anything I would replace it with.
  6. kms7852

kms7852 New Member

Can you tell me how thick the ipod becomes compare to its original ipod thickness and with iClear on ?
    How thick is Defender ?
  7. dagored

dagored Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Both cases almost, not quiet, double the thickness. However, there is very little increase in weight. I like the thickness, because I get a better grip on the Touch.

I went 3 days with the new Touch before I purchased a case. I found it a little slippery without the case. I can just imagine the damage if it would hit the ground on one of its edges. I have seen picts on different forums of chipped screens and cracks. The Defender is perfect for me. YMMV.
  8. mahger

mahger New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thats very good to know, thanks. The doubling the thickness part is unfortunately a big thing for me, so I guess I wont be getting this case.
  9. Isabel

Isabel New Member

How is it with non-Apple head phone jacks? I use an aux cable in my car and I connect my iPod to my bathroom stereo and have had problems fitting larger (non-Apple headphone) jacks into some cases. I spent over $100 on unsuitable cases before I finally found a case I could live with for my 30 GB video iPod and I'd rather avoid that this time.
  10. dagored

dagored Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They work fine. I hate the Apple earphones. I use the Bose Triport Earphones, great sound and the Sony EX someting. They fit fine. I also use a third party usb to Touch charger and it fits without a problem just as the included Apple plug.

EDIT: I do wish to add that this case is not for everyone. If you want protection from dirt or spills, not submersion, this is the case for you. I take it to the gym and am not hesitant at all about damaging it. It does add bulk to the Touch, but not anymore weight than the iClear, which is now in a drawer.