OtterBox Armor Case Review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AlphaDog, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AlphaDog

AlphaDog New Member

Since receiving an Ipod Touch last November, I have been searching for the ultimate protection, from virtually everything you can imagine. As a soldier, avid kayaker and climber, and generally just an active kind of person, I can really dish out a lot of abuse. I'm not sure why this is the case, but there are a ton of accessories out there that will work for every other Ipod except the Touch.

Recently I have found myself about to be deployed again, so I started a new search for the ultimate protection for my Ipod. I started with a Pelican i1010. This fantastic little case looked like it would fit the bill until I got it home and discovered that there is no way to fit your Touch in it with the cord attached!

My search led me to the OtterBox Armor, not to be confused with their Defender series. I ordered directly from the manufacturer, and found their order process to be decent, not the best ever, but still pretty good. The package arrived undamaged and in a reasonable amount of time.

The case itself is roughly 6 by 3 by 1/2, and unlike the Pelican cases, the screen is accessible while in the case. The Ipod slides into the built in jack firmly and you are able to listen to music and do everything with the Ipod except turn it off completely while it is in the case. The built in screen distorts your Ipod screen just slightly, but it is functional. The case comes with a nice lanyard that is easily removable and a very good belt clip.

The case is immersible to three feet, so basically splash proof. The level of protection provided by the case seems to be very good. The warranty is superb as well. My only gripes are that the window that provides access to the screen is not solid, it works, but will only provide limited protection against screen impacts. I also don't like that it is not a little more see through. The cost is also a little steep.

I would rate this case 4 of 5 and if you are looking for function over form, this is the case for you.
  2. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    great review. I was gonna get this but it said they were out. It was around Christmas so I new why.
  3. AlphaDog

AlphaDog New Member

Thanks for the Kudos. I really do like the case.