OSx86x BUST

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Mr_iPod, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Mr_iPod

Mr_iPod Member

Recently I tried out iAktos 2.0 for the sake of it. I wanted a mac so i downloaded the .iso, burnt it to disc and booted it up on my Intel laptop. It would get to the blue screen and freeze. So i reset it and the same thing happened. I reset it AGAIN and this time it worked. 9\10 restarts leads to the blue screen and 1\10 boots into the OS. I tried it on there and failed. So i tried my mums laptop (about 3 years newer) Intel again and it worked FLAWLESSLY. I was happy untill the update time came. Since i was new to OSx86x i just used the Apple software updater and downloaded the 10.5.4 combo update... it completly f***** the system because it installed a vinilla kernal. So i reformat and install again and look for the CORRECT way to update. I found a guide, updated it then it just wouldent boot at all. Got to the blue screen and just sat there. Regardless of how many times i rebooted (did it like 30 times) so i just said SCREW IT and went and asked dad for a Mac Mini. Im getting one this saturday

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. hobofan

hobofan New Member

you've luck, I would never get a mac.

but OSx86 is running really good on my pc (I used the Leo4All v3 disk)

edit: why are u making 2 topics that say that u are getting a mac mini??
  3. Mr_iPod

Mr_iPod Member

not really 2 topics... i saw some posts about OSx86x and people who had success with it. I dident so i want to share my story.. the other topic was to let everyone know im getting one, but mostly just what to get after i get one. software, hardware etc.
  4. Jesus69

Jesus69 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Haha lucky!!
  5. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a macbook and osx86
  6. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I never had a problem installing OSx86

It sounds like you went wrong when you tried to use the 10.5.4 update. First of all you need to be on 10.5.3 first and second any update from apple requires you be running vanilla because it rewrites your kernel.

The problem was with the way you tried to install it, not the system itself. Do a little research and understand what you are doing before any sort of install or update. If you are unsure browse the forums and ask questions. InsanelyMac is a great source of info.

Sounds like you almost had it if its any consolation.

Also I never use Apple's updater I always download the installer package just to be safe, sometimes Apple's Software Update doesn't play nice.

Kalyway is the preferred install by far...I used the following:

Kalyway 10.5.2 --> Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update ---> 10.5.4 Update from Apple

Running Vanilla and never had an issue, it is a very stable setup if installed correctly.