Osu! for the iPhone and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by nuudles, Dec 7, 2008.

1. nuudles

nuudles New Member

Hello everyone. A few months ago I began development of my first iPhone/iPod Touch app to learn how to use the SDK and it has escalated into a rather large project. My first idea was to port the game "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!" or "Elite Beat Agents," when I became aware of an existing project called simply "osu!" for the PC, which you can learn about here:

osu! - rhythm is just a click away

The osu! community is rather large already and there's a dedicated team of people working to make it better and better, including a large number of people making songs for the program (known as beatmaps). I got in touch of the writer of that program and got permission to port the project to the iPhone and iPod Touch platform, letting me take advantage of the already thriving community and many beatmaps available. Fast forward to today and development has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. At this point though, I'm ready to open beta testing to a closed number of individuals. Note, this really is beta testing and there are still many bugs and things to do before a public release is really ready. If chosen for beta testing, you should be ready for crashes and general incompatibilities and report any bugs to me so I can work on fixing them. The project is also still under development so new features will probably be coming in all the time.

If you're interested in beta testing, please PM me with your Email address and which device you have and I'll get in touch with you regarding repository information. Please feel free to check out the above website for osu! and download the excellent game for the PC (currently only available for Windows). Maybe even try making a few beatmaps yourself

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here are some screenshots of the current progress of the game.

One of the first screenshots I made of just parsing the beatmaps and generating the objects:

More slider work and background image

Much further along with another beatmap

What's known in the game as a spinner

Song selection screen

Downloading beatmaps is now built in to the game

The ranking screen after you complete a beatmap

2. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Cool! can't wait till its released
  3. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this looks fun.... lol....
  4. FinalOmen

FinalOmen New Member

I have been a fan of this game on the DS. Osu/Elite Beat Agent, this game looks pretty good for the iPod touch/iPhone. I'm tracking this game now.
  5. nuudles

nuudles New Member

I will be making a public release on Cydia shortly. Also I'll post a video sometime soon.
  6. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do you want this on community sources? I am affiliated with BigBoss and I can help you out with this.
  7. ロリ狩りクン

ロリ狩りクン New Member

will this come with songs for it or pull your songs from your song list?
    will there be a ingame patern generator in future.

i am intrested in this

i own ouendan 1 and 2 its going to be odd without a stylus >.<
  8. ohaus

ohaus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I actually used to play osu! A lot on the computer. I used to be an active member of the forums and I've made around 6 or 7 beatmaps. I'm looking forward to seeing this on the iPod Touch. I haven't jailbroken yet, but I might just for this app. I'll PM you when I do jailbreak if you need any more beta testers.
  9. nuudles

nuudles New Member

When I release the public beta, it will come with no songs. It has a built-in beatmap downloader that downloads beatmaps straight from the source for the osu! community:

http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=beatmaplist&s=4&r=0

The "pattern generator" you're talking about is known as a beatmap creator and there are currently no plans to make an on-device beatmap creator, though you can download the official osu! game from the website:

http://osu.ppy.sh

and create your beatmaps that way. It has a built-in beatmap creator.
  10. ロリ狩りクン

ロリ狩りクン New Member

so um when is it coming out?