OPINIONS: Tethered 3G Jailbreakers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Meetloaf13, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello all,

I'm on my second iPod touch. My first was a 32GB 1G, and now I have the 32GB 3G.

I really miss my JB and know that much has happened since I last had JB on my Touch. I know the benefits of Jailbreaking.

What I would like to know is what REALLY bugs you about being Tethered. How has it been inconvenient? How often have you been caught need to tether to boot up? Also, when you install a new app from Cydia, does that soft-boot require that you be tethered? (it would really annoy me if I could only install/update Cydia apps (like winterboard) when I'm at home).

Last question, any of you on Windows 7 x64? I've heard problems with people using blackrain and Win7 x64.

Thanks
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While I don't have a comment on Windows 7 x64, I know tethering isn't THAT bad.

Soft boots are fine. They just restart the SpringBoard.
    If it tells you to reboot the device, just plug it in and run BlackRa1n again (after rebooting).

With such a large amount of RAM, I'd imagine you wouldn't need to restart it that often.
    I restart my 3GS every other day (Both devices have the same amount of RAM).
  3. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice, well if you're willing to JB with your phone, which I would HATE not to have at my disposal, perhaps 'tethered' isn't THAT big of a hassle.
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, I actually have the older 3GS that doesn't have to be tethered

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm just not jailbroken because I don't really feel a need to at the moment.

Still, I had my iPod touch 2G tethered before an official untethered jailbrake solution came out. It wasn't bad at all. If anything, it's easier now, because all you have to do is simply run a program. I used to have to type all this stuff into Terminal to boot it!
  5. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ...ohhhh how I miss SBSettings. I think I'll try it out this weekend if Win7 x64 isn't a problem.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i have no problem being tethered at all, i think ive turned my ipod off a total of 3 times in the last 2 months
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    My iPod Touch sometimes turns off randomly, but that was fixed after I restored for a different reason. But a soft reboot is a respring. At least it is with Rock. Tethered isn't that bad, I can't live without a jalbreak right now.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Rock was not out the last time I had Jailbreak running (I stopped for a while with my 1G...just got too laggy for me).

Excited to try it all out, looks like I have some reading to do =]
  9. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Tethered never bothered me when my iPod was jailbroken... It's very rare that I had to reboot, and when I did I always had a computer near me.
  10. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So "A" computer near you, you say? So it doesn't have to be the same computer you originally jailbreak with, as long as you have all the Blackrain files handy (wonder if jailbreaking with Win7 x64, and booting in a different OS will affect anything)?

If that is true, that shouldn't be bad at all then. I can set up here at work and at home.